What's your superpower?

Partly because I'm trying to cheer myself up, partly because we need a bit of positivity in life and also because I'd like to get to know you all a bit better, what is your autistic superpower? I prefer to think of the positives that being autistic brings rather than dwell on the things I struggle with and I like to think of my strengths as "superpowers".

Mine are empathy (sometimes my heart can feel like it's going to break or explode!) and spotting details / patterns, particularly in numbers and equations. I also think I see more details in nature than my neurotypical friends (nature is my "special interest") and I get far more joy and excitement from nature than most people do. What are yours?

(Just I case it's confused anyone, I've changed my username, I hope that's OK?)

Parents
  • Yours sound awesome.. thanks for creating this thread and for sharing your superpowers. My own is empathy, excellent nearly photographic memory and I'm able to mimic almost any voice I hear - male and female - and I'm very, very creative. I love being autistic! 

• I love being autistic! 

That’s great! So do I, if it’s not already obvious!

Just for your information Autistic Pride Day will be celebrated on Tuesday 18 June.

• Just to add what I hope is a sprinkle of realism. Not to piss on anyone's chips of course. Super powers are all well and good if they translate into every day life.  I know I am not on my own when I say : I don't feel like I have a super power. Getting through a regular day or week is what I am capable of.

Although I have been known to identify minor celebrities from single facial features faster than anyone else in a pub quiz. Swings and roundabouts.

• Just to add what I hope is a sprinkle of realism. Not to piss on anyone's chips of course. Super powers are all well and good if they translate into every day life.  I know I am not on my own when I say : I don't feel like I have a super power. Getting through a regular day or week is what I am capable of.

Although I have been known to identify minor celebrities from single facial features faster than anyone else in a pub quiz. Swings and roundabouts.

Children
  • Not to piss on anyone's chips of course.

Useful phrase.  Thank you for sharing.

• You don't need to explain your elf!  Everyone's opinions are valid. I think it's good to have discussion about strengths etc.... What I contribute does depend on my current situation,  mood, circumstances at the time. I probs should've posted my reply generally rather than under your indivudyal post!

Yes I know, I just thought make sure that your points didn’t seem as though they were undermined.

• I get what you are saying. So many things are difficult and some days are worse. For me I need these kind of positives to try to distract from the rest.

• You don't need to explain your elf!  Everyone's opinions are valid. I think it's good to have discussion about strengths etc.... What I contribute does depend on my current situation,  mood, circumstances at the time. I probs should've posted my reply generally rather than under your indivudyal post!

• Super powers are all well and good if they translate into every day life.  I know I am not on my own when I say : I don't feel like I have a super power. Getting through a regular day or week is what I am capable of.

That’s ok, we are all human! I wouldn’t necessarily call my experiences ‘superpowers ‘ either it was just that I was following the format of this discussion. Instead I would usually describe them as my autistic strengths.

I understand how the superpower narrative can be harmful for our autistic community too.

Getting through everyday life is an achievement in itself!

• I agree, 'everyday life', it's the future imo Slight smile  I've always been more into swings than roundabouts (I tend to get dizzy and nauseous on those contraptions) Upside down