Night wandering.

I love night wandering. It's unfortunate this time of year is so cold otherwise I would walk through the fields, last night however I settled for walking through my house.

During past summers I walked through the fields around my house and it looked beautiful because it's dark but still light enough to see.

At night everything is so quiet. No sounds other than the house creaking and the occasional bit of wildlife outside, often seen but never heard. I had missed this when I was away in hospital. Last year I had heard an owl hooting merrily to itself.

It's felt so natural to be back in a familiar place with these familiar sounds. I love how everything looks different in the dark as well, it's eery in a way but amazing.

I like to see the gradual transition as it begins to get lighter. Watching the sky change and brighten is an incredible sight to behold, there's so many shades changing smoothly.

I'm tired now. I was up between 1 and 2, I find it hard to sleep and at night I like to be moving around. This used to annoy my mum because she put me to bed and within the hour I was awake again. Lol. I've always loved night wandering.

I wonder if this has to do with autism or if it's just an unusual thing I do.

• , the camera I have is a Nikon Coolpix B500 digital bridge camera. For the most, it usually suits my needs. I also have a tripod, mainly because my hands aren't always the steadiest. Having said that, I sometimes find that using the 2-second or 10-second timer on my camera can be enough to prevent 'camera shake'.

• This is a stunning picture.

I am sure it's also very different to what your own eyes saw, but it gives us an experience of it. Cameras are so much worse than our own eyesight.

I find a long exposure makes it look too bright, so I prefer to keep it dark so it captures the atmosphere.

• I go out to see the night, but it's easy to do that, here, so at this time of year I just stay in the garden! 

In warmer months I often stay out to watch the sun set, then walk home. 

The potholes aren't so treacherous in the summer - although at the moment everything's covered with deep snow, I can't even see the track! Grinning

As a teenager we lived further north for a while, I used to take the dogs out at night, then, I knew the route so all was well.

It was a good way of getting some peace. I knew I needed to be by myself a lot, but didn't know why, then. 

• I took a night picture last night :) x 

• Hello Awkwardkid,

I too am a keen cyclist but my eyesight is not up to nightriding. Good to know there are other autistic cyclists. I need the peace and quiet of the moors. Maybe you would like to join us on a Sunday club ride if you are able to?  

• Ilford HP5 & a tripod or at least hold the camera very still, and use the widest aperture that the lens will allow. 

Do not use XP2 for ease of processing, I tried that & IMHO it's rubbish compared to HP5, which has a very pleasing grain. 

Some night pictures really benefit from a tiny bit of add-in flash as I found out when I tried to replace my trusty D70s with a D3s... Next time I dip into Fx format, I'll try a D700. I've been hoping they'd make a D700s variant..

• I have never managed to master the art of night photography, despite numerous attempts over the years.

• I cycle a lot and I love the solitude of being out at night. During the first lockdown, I stepped up the cycling and went out at night, regularly. The silence was deafening. I found so much peace in empty roads. It was a joy. Everything came alive. Your senses become attuned to the finer details, smells and sounds mainly. The summer was the best. Warmth and light. Absolutely bliss.

• Beautiful pictures. I never thought to take pictures at night. I'll be giving this a try tonight. Slight smile

• Area is important for this. If I wasn't in the countryside I wouldn't go out at night.

Freedom, that's a good expression and that's how I feel when I do walk. It's like I'm the only person alive in the entire world, no one can hurt me.

• That last pic, you might not be happy with the exposure but the framing and composition is superb!

• Night walks are something I started doing in 2020. Because at the time I lived next door to a noisy neighbour and it made my life hell, and I couldn't cope with it. I would have to leave the house to get away from the noise because I need time without sensory overload to recover. So I would go and walk around the streets at 1am and 2am.

What I discovered was it is actually really lovely to walk at night - it's quiet, peaceful, no people or cars around.

Where I lived at the time was in the urban sprawl of a city, so not in the city centre itself, which would be noisy and unpleasant at night. I was in a residential area so I would just walk around the streets. A few times I would dare to go into the woods or a park which could be a little bit scary since there's no street lights.

When I finally managed to move house the noise problem was solved, but I continued going on walks at night because I enjoy them. I moved to a more rural area and I can see so many stars at night, it's really beautiful. And I can walk along the country lanes here, although it's pitch black without street lights, when there is a full moon you can see really well.

I couple of times I've even ended up on the moors after dark, because I like to see the sunset and then I come down once it gets dark. I know the way so it's fine, and I don't encounter anybody except sheep, owls and bats.

Here is where I was in the woods with a full moon on a cloudy night:

woods at night

Here is when I was in a church graveyard at night:

church at night

This was when I was coming down off the moor in the dark. I didn't take a long exposure so can't really see anything:

moors at night

• Night wandering (at any time of the year) isn't something I generally tend to do.

However, I do think there is something rather lovely about being outdoors at a time when it feels like the rest of the world is sleeping. Admittedly, this is largely dependent on where one happens to live. In my case, I live in a rather built-up urban area, fairly close to my town, and within walking distance of several main roads.

During the early hours of the morning, there is considerably less traffic on the roads generating noise, and the likelihood of me encountering other people is also considerably reduced. This can help to provide me with a sense of freedom, and a feeling that I am almost doing something rebellious and forbidden... even though I know I'm not.

• Hey Number, 

No problem at all! I know not everybody does :) x

• Hi L.........unrelated to the above......I don't really do that thing

• I wouldn't want to do it either living in a city.

In the country I don't encounter anybody. I've seen sheep before, their eyes glow in the dark when light hits.

It's spooky but cool at the same time.

It is an nice experience but you definitely need 20/20 vision otherwise you could hurt yourself.

• This isn't something I do but it sounds really nice, and you describe it so well you make me want to do it.

I've always lived in cities and towns and I wouldn't feel safe being out at night.

Also, I can't see in the dark so that wouldn't help.

I don't know whether it's related to autism but hopefully you may get some feed back here.

I hope you keep enjoying Crescent moon