Fidget toys

Hi!

I'm currently in the first initial stages of designing a product for my GCSEs, specifically for people diagnosed with autism which can help with difficulties in social situations. 

My first idea is a fidget toy. I would like to know the pros and cons of these, when they are mainly used, and just personal preferences as to what kind of sensory tools can help.

Also, are bright lights and loud noises something people on the spectrum struggle with?

Any information would be really helpful and if you have any ideas as to what products would help those with autism but aren't currently available or designed that would be great to know.

Thanks!

Parents
  • Some people love to visually stim, and I do too but on static things, be wary if something has high contrast moving parts as it can induce a feeling like sea-sickness.
    I also like things that are 2 or more in 1. Eg physical puzzles with lots of moving parts, you can visually focus on it, solve it, and move it around in your hands. My Fave fidget toy is a spinner but it is wholly made of rubber except the axel and the rubber forms a ring of pop domes, that's a 3 in 1, spinning it, popping it, and just rubbing the sides for the texture. And the multiple in 1 works great for me because being AuDHD I have the novelty seeking trait of ADHD in overlap with the love of familiarity trait of Autism so I like to rotate faves regularly.

I think that might be the way to go to appeal to a broader range of sensory seeking in a single item too, because not everyones autistic sensory needs are the same so offering a variety and letting them pick the thing they want/need out of a stim gadget will be more likely to provide something for everyone.

• Some people love to visually stim, and I do too but on static things, be wary if something has high contrast moving parts as it can induce a feeling like sea-sickness.
    I also like things that are 2 or more in 1. Eg physical puzzles with lots of moving parts, you can visually focus on it, solve it, and move it around in your hands. My Fave fidget toy is a spinner but it is wholly made of rubber except the axel and the rubber forms a ring of pop domes, that's a 3 in 1, spinning it, popping it, and just rubbing the sides for the texture. And the multiple in 1 works great for me because being AuDHD I have the novelty seeking trait of ADHD in overlap with the love of familiarity trait of Autism so I like to rotate faves regularly.

I think that might be the way to go to appeal to a broader range of sensory seeking in a single item too, because not everyones autistic sensory needs are the same so offering a variety and letting them pick the thing they want/need out of a stim gadget will be more likely to provide something for everyone.

Children