Is verbose speech a sign of masking?

I have been thinking recently about masking and the various means that one uses to mask. 
It has occurred to me, that the use of a ‘passive voice’ in my communication, is a big part of the way I write and speak.

I can remember all the way back to college, that tutors used to comment on my ‘wordiness’, I well-achieved (D*D*D*) in College but kids always used to say “You’re not that smart are you? You just write a lot”. The implication being that I was obscuring my lack of understanding.
The more I’ve written, the better I have gotten at writing, but I still write a lot. I find that every now and again I take on a new element of language, but I always write a lot and I never reread, I just speed-write to victory. 
In my speech I do talk a lot, talking about anything at length and for length, I enjoy getting my thoughts out and enjoy how language is constructed in my head.  
But I also speak longer words and phrases in a disagreeable situation, to offset any aggressive reaction to my imperative, I find that a great rhetorical-tool can be found in elongated words and phrases and sentences.

I have thought that: Maybe it is because I have enjoy vocabulary but not grammar, or maybe it is because I never formally-learned grammar at school, or maybe I abandoned the ‘active voice’ as a means of non-detection and non-confrontation. It may even have been, a kind-of speed writing that I developed, to safely expose myself to writing and speech.

It has not been the case, that all the individuals that I know (who have an Autism Spectrum Condition), have a circumlocutory communication style. I have known some ASC individuals, to be very literal and active in their communication, and no less intelligent.

So I guess I am just interested to know: How this style of communication sits-with and is experienced by the community? Why the community thinks it occurs? Is it born of the environment and exposure? Is it a repetitive action or an interest? Is it a means of evasion or development? Is it the result of the level of skill attainment?

• There are cases in the old days of autists being diagnosed as schizophrenic over such things..

• Yes.  I do.  A very loud and persistent one.

• I've wondered, I think this is something everyone has, surely?

• I get this too, I can also relate to your roots as well, emotion-neglect and intimidation are what I understand though. I have found that it is part of the reason why I can navigate negative-intuition so keenly. 
    I don’t talk when I can feel that, I can’t avert aggression with words, I am equally as skilled in my avoidance of initiative, as I am with my deflection with verbosity.  
    Perhaps the fact that I managed to stay my aggressors-hand so much, or more-likely they were bluffing, allowed me to sharpen and favour my verbose tactics.

• I get this.

For a long time I was a man of few words who preferred to speak softly and carry a big stick (verbally) but who was very good at their job (tech support).

I found social interactions with colleagues and customers difficult for many years despite being highly educated and fairly "worldly" experienced for my age. People would keep me at the periphery of conversations as I would give very blunt but often accurate responses to what they asked about, especially if it was something they had messed up.

Over the decades I took a lot more time to learn to be conversive, to mask effectively and could hold my own in social situations much better. This helped my career and I ended up travelling the world with my work so it paid off.

Now I'm returning to more brevity in my conversations, preferring to get to the point but include relevant context, platitudes when needed and social niceties when I can be bothered. I guess this is a common aspect of getting old.

On that note it is time for me to go to work Slight smile

• I do I’ve literally satisfied my life goals while in my inner world.. I’ve been rejected or disappointed by people, then I daydream about an ideal scenario, and feeling fine because they couldn’t stop me thinking my best life..Sweat smile

• Curious if anyone here ALSO has an internal dialogue/monologue? 

• I can spend entire days without saying a single word. When forced, I usually give one word answers or reply with just a glare and a grunt. Somebody once told me that she believed I was non verbal and severely mentally disabled, she was surprised when she knew that I was actually more intelligent and with more schooling than her. 

Probably in my case it was due to being born in an abusive environment with a crazy father. I learned early that speaking was rewarded by beatings.

• I think that in trying to expose ourselves to the world of communication outside of standard means, and often without ever being flagged by service-providers as ‘in need of support’, we can develop a fault of style as it were..

• Thanks yeah, my professor always used to beat me with the stick of ‘circumlocution’, I never did manage to learn though..:D

I’ve recently been pushing into the idea that, autistic individuals can have a hard time separating language from communication, that we can fail to use our store of vocabulary and grammar to appropriately appease an audience..

• Oh I relate to this. When I was doing my degree I was always told I was "too descriptive" and not analytical enough when I thought I was doing what was expected.

• I’ve done a bit of research on ‘verbose speech’ in the Autism spectrum, I have found that there is a disconnect between communication and language, to ‘have’ a means of communication but to be poor in ‘doing’ communication all the same.

To ‘have’ language is to have a store-of-words and a knowledge-of-grammar; to ‘do’ communication is to be able to wield signs, facial expressions, body movements and language; in a way that appropriately notifies an audience.

I think that perhaps the reason why I have such trouble, trying to get an idea of why I am so wordy in my communication, is because I don’t speak to the audience. I am impaired, I have trouble understanding that just because I can accumulate a store of language, doesn’t mean that I can communicate well and don’t have a social impairment.

The fact that I can’t separate language from my communication is proof of my lack-of-awareness of sociability.

• Indeed so.

(I couldn't help myself!)

• Ha ha, got to love the minister for the 18th century!

• People passively aggressively tear a strip off me for this too.  I use the language of Jacob Reece Mog.....even I think I sound like a nob most of the time!.....or should that be "proboscis"!!

• I'm not sure I can give any intelligent insight here but just thought I'd briefly add my experience.  I have been called verbose in my written language.  The words that come to my mind tend to be longer and more obscure ones and I generally make a conscious effort to use more everyday language when speaking.  This also means I tend to speak more slowly sometimes. 

• In answer to your primary question, I believe the answer is a very firm YES in my case.

• Grammarly did my head in, with Passive Voice alerts, plus it was poison expensive; and Woke. 

• TL;DR Smiley

You make good points, as usual, mate. 

• That's so well put. I 'overshare' massively in emails or letters to formal bodies as well. A couple of times, my own mother has been ready to strangle me over stuff I needlessly 'gave away' to my notional disadvantage. 

But I think you've hit on something key there. As autists, honesty and being an open book is more likely to be one of our core traits. So much so that it can seem, paradoxiaclly, like protesting too much. We sense that, and prepare our defences by covering any and all points we think may be raised. This just exacerabates the 'weirdness'.

So much of how things evolve is down to the in-built design element in the 'nature of things' of a crucial ongoing push/pull between evasion and detection. It's how technology advances. 97% of people need to be actively and almost unconsiously involved in that 'game', or things will not continue toward a better and fairer (for everyone) future we can't even presently begin to grasp but will turn up in time. We are the control in the experiment perhaps, a gently expanding percentage of neurodiverse population, shifting the ratios to assist with pacing the path to the future. Our communication styles - blunt or circumlocutionary in an effort to leave no stone unturned - are at the extremities of a spectrum, with a modified middle something we see others perform like a magic trick but is as natural to them as breathing. 

Er... I've drifted a bit here. Case in point!