The Smiths: the riches of the poor

Basically, this thread is for me to bore everyone senseless by droning on about the genius of The Smiths and also Morrissey's curious beauty.

More nonsense to follow.

• I like The Smiths. :)
    I was lucky enough to get their album, The Sound of The Smiths, for Christmas last year. I like all their songs. It's different but good music.

• Cool that you got to see him and then again that author in the same place.

I've not seen or met Morrissey but he's on my list of people to meet. Doubt I ever will but it would be nice.

• Saw Morrisey once, drinking coffee in Waterstones bookshop on Deansgate in Manchester. I was rather more impressed at meeting and talking to the author Michael Moorcock (who also worked with the groups Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult) at the same location.

• I love The Smiths.

I like Girlfriend In A Coma lol.

"There were times when I could have... Murdered heeerrr" XD

What's your favourite Smiths song? 

• I look forward to your next nonsense post Steven Slight smile

• This is what Morrissey said about Andy after he died.

"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

MORRISSEY.

• I view it - the 'Morrissey Problem' - as one long in the making: even at the beginning, he came across as being absolutely convinced that he was right about so many things; and sadly this arrogance has never altered. Arguably, this is a feature of essentially lonely lives, and we see it in the self-righteous & strongly-held views of talents like Morrissey and Hilary Mantel (for example) and even obscure people like me - we've been alone in our heads for so long, with no-one to debate our opinions, that we assume our views are either inarguable or are 'only common sense'.

Perhaps The Smiths split at exactly the right time - some of the songs he wrote at that time and obliged the band to rehearse were at best controversial, and continuing in that vein would have spoiled our fond memories of The Smiths.

• That's so sad :'( 

So many greats moving on to Heaven and there's no one to replace them.

At least they leave us their music :) 

• I used to love the Smiths; probably listened to Strangeways and the Queen is Dead more than a hundred times each when I was a teenager, but knowing Morrissey is such a hateful person just ruined their songs for me. Same with Jesse Lacey in Brand New.

I know lots of people separate the art from the artist and can happily listen to Michael Jackson or Gary Glitter without thinking about who they were, but I never have and to be honest I'm not sure I'd want to.

• If people think talking about or listening to The Smiths is nonsense then they need psychiatric help lol XD 

80s music is unbeatable IMHO. All their stuff is good but my fav song is this one.... :) 

https://youtu.be/qdOHPjMzY8s

I love this could listen to it all day. And now I probably will lol.

• Rest In Peace, Andy.

Johnny Marr: “Watching Andy play those dazzling basslines was an absolute privilege and genuinely something to behold."

www.theguardian.com/.../andy-rourke-bassist-for-the-smiths-dies-aged-59

• Yh tbh that ruined the one or two songs of theirs I liked. Difference in musical taste is fine but you can't bridge an ethical gulf where the other person faced with standing behind you just living your life or someone who would take your human rights away would chose the side of the opressor not the opressed.

• I was wondering what Smiths fans here think of the following song? Vocals and lyrics were added to a Smiths instrumental (which eventually became 'Heaven Knows, I'm Miserable Now') by Chris Quinn. But the impersonation doesn't matter so much to me; I find everything about it very memorable. I think it's great.

'In the end there's nothing left
    All the pictures gone, only shadows on the wall
    So sink me and drown me in the shallow end
    I betrayed a friend, now I'm harder to defend
    And In your rage,
    I didn't lie to you the truth changed'

'The Smiths' - I Misses You (vocal):

m.youtube.com/watch

• 'I've seen this happen in other people's lives
    And now it's happening in mine...'

• Shyness is nice

And shyness can stop you

From doing all the things in life you'd like to

• Just been listening to the masters of melancholy in the caron the school run educating the youth of the day....Reel Around The Fountain and Still Ill...great stuff Ok handOk hand

• It just occurred to me you keep demeaning, belittling yourself constantly. So, listen yo your Mentor Stuck out tongueplease stop. 

Reasons:

1. It's bad for your self-esteem and mental health.
    2. It's ridiculous to compare two objects that are entirely different, you could compare specific attribute of both objects under certain criteria if you must. Horse isn't a worse zebra than zebra because he has less stripes.
  • I used to go to Smiths Morrissey night in  Manchester. Pre pandemic I suggested they drop the Morrissey label as his right wing views were a major turn off and people stopped going. They didn't do it at the time but have now, I'm debating whether to go back. But what do I know, I'm just the ghost of a troubled Joe...