Fireworks

What does anyone else think about fireworks? Often people talk about pets. I don't like the very loud ones. I think it must be very difficult for people who have lived in a war zone. I don't remember so many with loud bangs when I was a child, more a whoosh and colourful stars.

I think there could be a limit to the decibels fireworks created so they don't make you jump or traumatize people.

• wow so many people :O hotel was smart, I don't think the transport s reliable or something easily planned around that night! I think I can hear the fireworks from my house anyway, and it isn't like I am that close!! Yes we love living around here, being close to the sea is lovely (when it isn't being pumped full of sewage!) and it is eccentric enough a place that I don't ever feel like I am completely out of place Smiley

• It's unbelievably busy. The population of Lewes is 18K and around 80K attend.

We stayed in a hotel but that's only because there was a last minute cancellation.

The few places to stay are booked up well in advance.

You live in a lovely area of the country.

I lived in Eastbourne for a few years and often visit Brighton.

We visit Lewes quite often too for the antique centres.

• The Lewes one is near where I am now, but I still have never gone, because I hear it is very very supppper busy (I mean I feel like most of Brighton and areas around head on over, so doesn't sound like my idea of a good and non crowded time!)

• I was born in 1962.

When I was a child in Portsmouth there were still bomb sites (and a total absence of health and safety regulations).

The bomb sites were left over from WWII (Portsmouth was heavily bombed).

I lived in the poorest neighbourhood, Landport, and all the streets around would build a huge bonfire from anything and everything over the months on a bomb site and then on November 5th light it and take their own fireworks along.

Nowadays, I like seeing fireworks but don't like hearing them.

A few years ago I went to the Lewes celebrations. 

Fantastic, chaotic, anarchic, total sensory overload.

• It is conflicting for me as I love looking at them but the sound is a complete no (well it would be ok if again it was like 'these fireworks will be here for this set time and that is all' and then I could probably watch a display -from far back as I also have a fear of being in the crowds, especially if something were to go wrong - and have my earplugs and headphones on) but they are all the time, and sometimes just one or 2 when it is barely even dark so how am I supposed to know a massive bang is going to happen whilst I am doing something in the garden for example. My cats don't like them either. Wish only the silent or really quiet ones were allowed, or only on specific days.

• I hate fireworks they really frighten me and the constant banging is distressing and irritating, really plays up my tinnitus and it's not just for a bit they go on all night. It upsets a lot of animals as well I've read. I always put on my headphones and try to drown them out but it doesn't work very well, they're just too loud.

• Too true! Some idiot is letting some noisy ones off right now as I type this. Fortunately they don't bother my cat who is fast asleep beside me.

• The days have gone when fireworks were only heard around 5 November. At least that was predictable and you knew it would end soon.

• Yes yes yes! On all of those points! I sign a slew of petitions every year but nothing changes! I checked the law and they are allowed to be as loud as a thunderclap, which I think is too much, it ought to be less as that is technically loud enough to damage hearing! I stay in, but they are on so many different evenings now that I got caught out between the car and the house one time and it was horrific! They ought to lower the legal sound by at least 10db, though I would prefer they banned the wretched things altogether.

I did see an ad for quiet fireworks. I hope they catch on, but for me it's not just the sound though that is bad, it is the fire risk and potential for misuse.