I feel like an alien

I just moved into new apartments and I have a neighbor who lives above me. Everytime I walk out my back door to take my dog out, she's on her patio and just starts talking to me.  I hate being autistic because I think she's trying to be nice, but It just startles and overwhelms the crap out of me. Now I just have an another reason to stay inside. I wish I could make friends "naturally" but it's feels forced and overwhelming. I wish I knew how to act like them

Parents
  • Next time you step outside wear visible ear defenders or over ear headphones. Then your neighbour will assume you can't hear her and hopefully soon give up. 

I too hate it when something like that happens. I tend to just smile and nod, a problem if what they decide to talk about is not appropriate to smiling and nodding. If I do try to reply usually only one word comes out and often it isn't even the word I meant to say. I desperately want to escape but do not know how to politely.

I had one neighbour (years ago) who used to pop her head over the fence and try and talk to me whenever she saw me in my garden. I considered it an intrusion, because I was in my own personal space in my garden, and it made me even more anxious about stepping outside. 

Thankfully that neighbour moved and the others stopped trying to speak to me years ago. I suspect I am now considered very strange by them and treated as such.

• Next time you step outside wear visible ear defenders or over ear headphones. Then your neighbour will assume you can't hear her and hopefully soon give up. 

I too hate it when something like that happens. I tend to just smile and nod, a problem if what they decide to talk about is not appropriate to smiling and nodding. If I do try to reply usually only one word comes out and often it isn't even the word I meant to say. I desperately want to escape but do not know how to politely.

I had one neighbour (years ago) who used to pop her head over the fence and try and talk to me whenever she saw me in my garden. I considered it an intrusion, because I was in my own personal space in my garden, and it made me even more anxious about stepping outside. 

Thankfully that neighbour moved and the others stopped trying to speak to me years ago. I suspect I am now considered very strange by them and treated as such.

Children
  • My neighbour used to do this too over the fence, I hated it so much, the garden should be my private space. They don’t do it anymore because last year I was pushed to the limit by the screaming kids of the kids while I was in the living room at night, one of them was chasing the kids around shouting rahhh really loudly and it went on for an hour, I ended up losing it and banging on the wall and screaming. Well now they think I’m a psycho and she tried to guilt trip me over email. I explained how intrusive it was and she actually apologised but we don’t talk anymore thankfully. However they are still completely intrusive in my space, they installed cameras last year that can see in my back and front garden, they are always climbing up ladders and cutting bits of tree off and looking in my kitchen. Never known anything like it, I’d never be that intrusive into someone’s life.