Private Diagnosis

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with getting a private diagnosis done and was this then accepted by the local authority to then allow you to get the treatment and help your child needs?  My son is 2 and 4 months old and I would like to get his treatment started as soon as I can but it seems like they will only accept the NHS diagnosis. Not sure what my options are other than sit and wait which I don't want to do with everything saying early intervention is key. 

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you may have

Karen

• Private for children is a lot more expensive that for adult diagnosis. Have you spoken with your GP? If you contact speech and language in your area, they can identify potential indicators of ASD, their report will detail support to be provided by the early years setting. If your child is not in an early years setting then that would be good to arrange, discuss your concerns with them, the senco will be able to work with you on a support plan. Hope that helps

• Who have you spoken to about getting the NHS diagnosis? Is your son in nursery or anywhere that a so-called professional will back you up? I say this because, as you're probably finding, so-called professionals always listen to other so-called professionals more than us parents, who are the real experts. 

Your son is very young. What traits is he showing that makes you think ASD? I'm guessing its in the family already & you want early recognition. Unfortunately getting the diagnosis isn't the golden ticket to help & services that people think it is. Its literally one small thing which can help access certain concessions in future or make getting things like support in school & EHCP easier. Its not guaranteed though. 

Having been fobbed off far too long in my quest to get my own kids dx then I'd definitely be getting things done privately if I could turn back the clock. The key is getting a dx that is accepted & recognised by the NHS & local authority. Most of them are, but there is a rare one that isn't. NAS can advise here. Give their education helpline a call. Do not remove his name from the NHS list. Better to have that too & it will make getting the NHS dx easier once you have the private one.

Another thing I'd focus on, just as much as the dx is getting an EHCP, so support can be available when your son starts school & if appropriate a special school placement will be a possibility. Good luck. 

• Diagnosis is a hot topic on here.

my personal feeling on the topic, is you have a few choices.

NHS can be challenging, but obviously financially more viable option.

Private can be rapid (relatively) but far more costly.

- obvious -

what concerns me is some accessing pseudo diagnosis’ from questionable sources. Or maybe from groups or individuals trained to do partial assessments.

in this matter the only persons that should be making a diagnosis of ASD or anything the like, are trained professionals like Psychologists or GP’s with additional training.

there is a reason why it costs so much.

—- A consultant psychologist with the appropriate accreditation, and the ability to produce a full report with a backing letter. Will be supported by the NHS.

I went the private route, presented my results to my gp and was supported in obtaining medication for my anxiety.