Frugal/Budgeting/# Crunchers

Who else is into budgeting, frugal wins and saving money? Where my frugal peeps at?

• There's two things in my mind that are a priority, rent is first, food is second, and everything else is just saved just for simplicity's sake.

I usually spend money on things I need, but if I want something, I can think about it for a month to a few years, before I actually get around to purchasing it. I make sure to spend less than what I make.

And as for sales, I know that the biggest saving is not the percentage they give you at the store (like 10% off, or 25% off), your biggest saving is when you're not spending at all. 

I just like to keep my spending very simple, and I lean towards saving money because not many things catch my interest, other than food and books most of the time. 

• Being too tight with money can make you enemies.

I never forgave my sister when she bought me my first DVD player at Christmas.  It was what I wanted, EXCEPT she spoilt the present by telling me that it was the cheapest model she could find on the internet.

• no mortgage and made a killing on stock market. moved from poverty and homelessness to acceptable comfort. got all i need ( big garden, family, happy)  

• previous dog was named "rocky swim"  ------- thats what happens when u leave a dogs name to your kids

• chitz tsu  ---- called "Bacon"

• Have you said what sort of dog you've got?

• my daughter does that when she comes home. my dog loves his make overs

• I cut my dog's fur myself and do his claws - saves me a fortune.

• Being an adult is hard--I seriously don't know how people have their lives, pets + kids.....ok, maybe I'll make room for pets.

• WOW--frugal/smart deluxe. What a large amt of accomplishments--very cool.

I'm sorry to hear that last bit. I hope that life 2.0 gives you more years against what the Dr's say you have.

• I was well-off, growing up, and mollycoddled. However, I can cease blaming my family for my problems.

Being an adult has been the hardest thing I've ever done.

• I'm a CEng - I can literally do anything - I do most car related stuff myself - I have every tool needed.       I'm converting a 2-bed bungalow into a 5-bed chalet-  I've done almost everything myself except plastering (I don't like standing in the naughty corner facing the wall).         The last 2-storey extension has cost only £15k.      I did the kitchen and utility for only £4k including appliances.      We're almost finished - I'm estimating £1M+ sale price.

My daughter is in a very enviable postilion - zero student debt so she's free to do what she wants with no pressure to rush at stressful jobs - she can wait until she gets what she wants.    I think she's got about £20k in savings too - at the age of just 22.

I had loads of photos of all the things I've sold via ebay - I do very nice pictures - well framed & colour balanced so I attract better prices on sales.  

I build large RC model boats - I challenge myself to get them on the water for under £100 and then I photograph them and sell them - normally for around £500 each - rinse & repeat.

We use cheap cars for daily drivers - we both only do a few thousand miles per year so if we need to do a long journey, we just hire a posh car for the weekend - doing long distance in a diesel + hire cost can work out cheaper than filling our petrol cars for the journey..

Disney as adults is amazing - if you know what you're doing   Smiley       It's very easy to waste thousands - we do it fully inclusive with all the knobs & whistles - flights, park tickets, top Disney hotel, all food & drinks, photo-pass, $200 Disney card, car & insurance all for about £1400 each - we go off-peak - late Feb / March when it's hotter than a UK summer but not sweaty and humid.       It really is an amazing experience - they work so hard to make it 'magical'.  Smiley

I'd like to do it just once more to make some serious memories.  Smiley

Unfortunately, I'm dying - I've deleted all my spurious photos - so all unnecessary stuff has been cleared and emptied - another skip-load of life-crap went on Thursday.        I've created a position where we were just about to retire out to the country - ready for life 2.0  - no stress, no worries - and just as I've got my hand on the chequered flag, it's all been snatched away.  Disappointed   

I'm a little bit miffed at working so hard and so 'smart' to not get the benefit of it all.      I'm in month 7 of a 3 to 6 month prognosis.      Borrowed time.  Disappointed

However, I've done my duty for my wife & daughter.

• Do you ever take before/after pics of items you fix that were deemed unfixable?

• I like using these when I save/pay off something using a highlighter or marker. Money challenge charts are fun to me too.

[Didn't watch the YT video, just saw her show the print-outs]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3UB2ocJeM

• That's AWESOME, you should be really proud of that! Lucky daughter to not be weighed down by debt. What's it like to go to Disney World as an adult? I've always wondered. I always viewed budgeting as not deprivation, but organizing & re-arranging your money to give you the best added value vs. fleeting fun. I also think budgeting is a skill you have to strengthen. It's much easier when you budget, cut down before you have to. I'm definitely obsesses with what I would call "money alchemy." It's also taken me awhile to confer w/the husband to really know what we both like/don't care for & can cut. Hey! My car has made it along time as well...it's a 2002. I like to fix things on it (basic, air filter, check fuses, coolant, see where a leak is coming from)....I always wanted to learn to work on cars-I usually purchase the parts & bring them to the mechanic. My husband is not car-handy-----I have to remember to take on the roll that I'm the handyman/car person lol I like to take care of things so they last---that's a big one & I need to strengthen this skill. Ha! I'm an xennial born in 1985, entered workforce in 2000.....I remember looking for the floppy disk on newer models going...."WHERE IS IT??" I would consider myself 1/2 analogue 1/2 digital. I appreciate tech, but I do resist at the same time......yeah, the clothing online---that's what I assumed as well-plus it's not a passion. I'd rather just donate & get a tax deduction for charity. We are the same...tiny mortgage for an area that cost more & more each year. Houses are in a shortage & have been since 2016, 1 car pmt (electric vehicle)-although I wish we didn't...I don't drive alot, but needed a 2nd car to travel 1,000 miles/month to the old job--no credit card debt. We want to move somewhere with bikes & ditch a car. We have two student loans, but saved $30k by my husband having 2:4 years completed in previous years and I shaved aprox $13k by taking more classes (accelerated) than the 4 per term (although my brain feels it)...both found grants and in total saved $59k in total for one BS & one BFA. Husband went to school straight after high school & got his degree......my school history was a rollercoaster-so I'm lucky to only have about $8k in student loans. We plan to autopay attack it when husband gets a job.

• Selling clothes on line is too hard - people will buy stuff, wear it and then return it - at your expense - you're on to a loser from the start.

I buy and sell things that appeal to 'nice' people - hi-fi, vintage synthesisers, Lego etc.   I'm good at finding bad adverts in wrong sections so I buy things for peanuts or fix unfixable things - like vintage Korg music workstations.    

They lose their memory settings and the 3.5" drives fail and the floppy is also a non-standard format with non-standard file extensions.      Whip it open, fit an new coin cell and then do a Sys-Ex download using WinXP compatible programs - a £30 synth becomes a £300+ synth.   Smiley

Rinse & repeat.

I was so efficient with my budgeting that I put my daughter through private school while my wife wasn't working while she re-qualified and we did Florida Disney holidays every year while renovating a 4-bed detached house in a ludicrously expensive area.

I drive an 18-year old car - my wife's is 15 years old - both are immaculate, fully loaded and very low mileage.   Anything better would cost a fortune.   We save a fortune on not paying car payments which we apply to having a better lifestyle - we have no debt and just a tiny mortgage..

• That's amazing...I'm only handy at really technical things, like some electrical work or parts in a telephone, dishwasher.

Same. I grew up in a private school and got teased for wearing the same thing for weeks or hand-me-downs. I didn't realize until my 30's that I grew up upper-middle class bc my dad kept us on such a strict budget. It taught me budgeting though. My mom used gerber jars to store allowance, but then they stopped allowances at age 12.

I keep a close eye on finances, but without being too rigid. Throughout everything, I keep tight reins on food/entertainment. I do my best to get the best prices on mostly organic food bc I believe in being thrifty, but it's also a health investment. Food is going to be the new gold. 

I keep an excel spreadsheet of refunds, credits, gift cards and savings...it's amazing how substantial the savings can become when you track it.

I've often thought about selling clothes online....I donate alot of stuff. But, how does one have the patience to selling online? Do you have any tips/things that work well for you?

• I've always had quite well-off friends and they've always had the best toys - I lived on a council estate and my parents didn't earn much money so I've always had to make my money work harder than anyone else's.       It's been like pulling gallons out of pint-pots for my whole life.

My friends who were into radio control planes - they had great things bought for them - I had to design and build my own.   I made a 4-channel radio control system out of two 2-channel sets - it used two frequencies at the same time and ate batteries - but I could compete.

I've always bought things for bargain prices and when I've used it and enjoyed it, I sell everything for profit so the same money gets used over and over for multiple purchases and fun.