Frugal/Budgeting/# Crunchers

Who else is into budgeting, frugal wins and saving money? Where my frugal peeps at?

Parents
  • I've always had quite well-off friends and they've always had the best toys - I lived on a council estate and my parents didn't earn much money so I've always had to make my money work harder than anyone else's.       It's been like pulling gallons out of pint-pots for my whole life.

My friends who were into radio control planes - they had great things bought for them - I had to design and build my own.   I made a 4-channel radio control system out of two 2-channel sets - it used two frequencies at the same time and ate batteries - but I could compete.

I've always bought things for bargain prices and when I've used it and enjoyed it, I sell everything for profit so the same money gets used over and over for multiple purchases and fun.

• I've always had quite well-off friends and they've always had the best toys - I lived on a council estate and my parents didn't earn much money so I've always had to make my money work harder than anyone else's.       It's been like pulling gallons out of pint-pots for my whole life.

My friends who were into radio control planes - they had great things bought for them - I had to design and build my own.   I made a 4-channel radio control system out of two 2-channel sets - it used two frequencies at the same time and ate batteries - but I could compete.

I've always bought things for bargain prices and when I've used it and enjoyed it, I sell everything for profit so the same money gets used over and over for multiple purchases and fun.

Children
  • I was well-off, growing up, and mollycoddled. However, I can cease blaming my family for my problems.

Being an adult has been the hardest thing I've ever done.

• That's amazing...I'm only handy at really technical things, like some electrical work or parts in a telephone, dishwasher.

Same. I grew up in a private school and got teased for wearing the same thing for weeks or hand-me-downs. I didn't realize until my 30's that I grew up upper-middle class bc my dad kept us on such a strict budget. It taught me budgeting though. My mom used gerber jars to store allowance, but then they stopped allowances at age 12.

I keep a close eye on finances, but without being too rigid. Throughout everything, I keep tight reins on food/entertainment. I do my best to get the best prices on mostly organic food bc I believe in being thrifty, but it's also a health investment. Food is going to be the new gold. 

I keep an excel spreadsheet of refunds, credits, gift cards and savings...it's amazing how substantial the savings can become when you track it.

I've often thought about selling clothes online....I donate alot of stuff. But, how does one have the patience to selling online? Do you have any tips/things that work well for you?