Autism symbol

I, like many, take issue with the autism speaks and the association they’ve attached to certain colors and symbols. The blue puzzle piece is attached to them and it’s such a shame because removed from the association and symbolism of the blue puzzle piece, i think it is a very aesthetically pleasing symbol. I want a pin that is subtle but when people look at me they will know i am autistic so that my awkwardness in social setting s and my sensitivites to things are somewhat understood in advance, but the only other new symbol for autism awarness/acceptance is a rainbow infinity symbol .....which i’m afraid is likely to be confused as an lgbtq symbol. I am part of that community so im not saying there’s anything wrong with that but im afraid people wont understand what i want to communicate. Do you guys think this new symbol is prevalent enough that it wont be confused?

• I forked out on a sunflower wristband (the "hidden disabilities" logo for when out shopping). I've not had a chance to trial it because of lockdown.

How long the novelty will stay with me I'm not sure. I get the feeling I'll ditch it - I've functioned well enough without it up until now.

• I prefer sincerity over symbolism.

• LOL sure to work in these times more than any other, but people are surprisingly still trying to hug others  in a pandemic which is mind boggling to me

• Just tell anyone who wants a hug that you're contagious  Smiley

• Hmmm thats an interesting perspective i hadnt thought of. Definetly about the money thing too, maybe i’ll make my own pin then.

But i guess to answer your curiosity about the mindset: i don’t see myself as a victim to anything besides my sensory processing issues, the rest is just my differences. And about my sensory issues which are primarily touch based i definitely want someone to know before leaning in for a greeting hug which is common where i am. Plus i mask fairly well so if i can make someone aware of my differences before they approach me, or they can ask about it and then i dont risk them saying “i didnt know you were so weird GrimacingNauseated face“ later on when i am in a place where i dont feel the need to mask. And i find it difficult or too forced to bring it up myself in certain situations. Plus i love pins so i thought it was a good way to go about it, but the card is definitely helpful too.

• I'd never heard of this rainbow infinity till you mentioned it. But frankly LGBT advocacy groups don't own the rainbow. The NHS are using it, religious groups are using it even the rainbows are using it. Also the rainbow infinities I'm seeing on google are closer to colour wheels. They go from red to purple then through magenta back to red. True rainbows stop at purple / indigo / violet. Magenta / pink isn't actually visible in a natural rainbow. (which ironically means you can never have pink in a lgbt style rainbow)

• I'm happier with the autism card - I don't really want a badge to be announcing to absolutely everyone that I'm special and may be unpredictable.    

And I'm also a bit cynical about all these ribbons and rainbows and badges for every single cause out there - it's just a money-making scam for the creators of this 'need'.for people to identify themselves as victims.  

And I don't understand the type of mind that want to tell everyone they're a victim - do they have no self respect?