Cash or card?

With the pandemic and multiple lockdowns, there have been a few changes to life.

One still puzzles me.

When paying, some places are card only, others cash only.  Why the inconsistency?

In my local shopping area.

KFC is card only.

Chinese takeaway is cash only.

Indian takeaway is also cash only.

Why?

• thats very petty, i mean  what the police did

• Yes - and most people are totally oblivious to it all - and Biden has said he will implement the Green New Deal which will decimate the fossil fuel industry - the Western world will be taken back to something that approximates a 1940s lifestyle - in many, many ways.

I can see people keeping their own cash to use as a parallel economy to avoid state control.   Some communities already work like this within the UK.

• Plastic I agree with you, not because it's a possible or just as a simple theoretical safe measure against such things.

It's because that is exactly what China is doing LITERALLY doing this right now to its citizens.

cash comes with privacy protection. 

• I hope so - but do you understand the purpose of smart meters?   Variable tariff charging and second-by-second billing?   And remote control disconnection?   Have you looked at Agenda 2030 and the 'Green New Deal' and all that they will cause?

• When you lose cash, absolutely EVERYTHING can be tracked and controlled - what you are 'allowed' to buy, your location tracked, your bank balance and savings monitored.       The government will be able to direct-debit any fines they want.

Every transaction will be monitored - so what happens if you donate to the 'wrong' political party or buy too many cigarettes or you took part in a protest so your travel rights are suspended?

With no cash, all high street banks will close - your only way to complain will be via e-mail or overseas call centre - if you have enough communication credit to phone them.

• They are not paying the tax on that income probably ?? , but a card payment can be traced . 

I hate money & can never work out if I am being ripped of by the cashier  , Prefer to  pay by card and will walk out of a store if it says cash only.

Once a policeman came to my door and accused me of taking petrol without paying even though i went in to pay , I handed over a note and received one back which I told the policeman and he threatened to arrest me and got very aggressive , So I went back to the station and asked them to check the cctv and sure enough I had paid but the cashier gave me back more money which legally was my fault for not checking the change , cash has no value to me .

One of my pet hates is maths , I cant work out the change received back until I get a calculator out

• Here in Belgium, where the pandemics hit much harder than in most countries, several small stores had to revert to cash only to avoid the fees from the CC companies.It was that bad, especially for small stores in the North or Brussels like florists, utility stores etc.

• Also I'm of some reason way less stressed when I pay with cash than card, sure, may be because I'm not used to it but still. And it doesn't feel like I've paid if I use a card.

• Not really, because it's a myth that picking up bad bacteria and viruses helps the immune system. Picking up good bacteria on the other hand is good for us. For example, some bacteria found in soil is very good for us. 

Herd immunity on its own is not a reliable method to keep populations alive and well. Because it depends way too much on the virus or bacteria involved and how fast it spreads and how many people would need to become infected to even reach 'herd immunity' 

• That's the intention.....  Smiley

• paying with cash makes u count/acknowledge the money as u spent it, the card is invisible and some people can loose control

• That was a bit more than I planned to write. I'm sorry.

• At least in the card loving country of Sweden, where banks don't like money and the only organisations that want to keep the cash is the government, the central bank and the senior association, have more stores started to only take card or recommend card payments and they are blaming the virus, even though the authorities have said that cash doesn't increase the risk of spreading diseases than before. It should be quite obvious that they are lying, since most people pay with card and they want to get rid of the cash costs since they are the same no matter how much money they handle. When the local traffic authority moved their ticket shop they stopped accepting cash and said it was for the safety of staff (which still both had and has a tick glass window in front of them and had a rotating thing to get the cash and tickets to the other side of the window making it hard to rob them, but what they didn't mention in the public information but was the only thing they had in the records from the meeting was that they would save some money, not an especially huge amount though, but still, that was the reason. And that they who wanted to pay with cash could go to the magazine store next door (which also is much easier to rob) Of course money can spread diseases, card readers do too, but people shouldn't lick on their fingers, no matter how they pay and they should wash them carefully and we all know when.

I don't know what I want to say with this. But as it has been mentioned before: small stores only take cash to make it easier to cheat with taxes, big stores only take card to save money from cash handling since they can cheat with taxes anyway.

And the virus is just an excuse. Because in the end, it's all about money.

I guess I'm a bit upset because I don't like to pay with card at all.

• It could be argued that money is the perfect vehicle for maintaining herd immunity and strong immune systems amongst a population.      A world full of Dettol is just asking for infections to become more of a problem - like MRSA.

• And at the same time the Swedish central bank is worried about the cash disappearing, because they don't have control over the digital money used today (since they are issued by the private banks not by the central bank as with notes and coins) Stuck out tongue But it's of course harder to cheat with VAT and other taxes with card payments, indeed.