Smells you love and smells you hate.

Just thought I would start an informal discussion about the smells that you love and the smells you hate.

I hate the following smells:

Cigarette smoke - I have to hold my breath when walking past a smoker, or walk in the opposite direction.

Hand cream - hate the strong smelling one that some people apply in my company. I say nothing because I don't like conflict, but it makes me gag, and so I have to hold my breath.

Strong perfume and deoderant

Car exhaust fumes

Food smells in confined spaces, like the smell of other peoples' fish and chips when I am on the train

Seaweed

Bonfire smoke

Smells I love:

Tea

Pastries

Fresh bread

The countryside

Sheep and cattle smells

• Smells, bring back memories.  So whether I like or hate certain smells depends on the memories I associate with them. 

I hate the smell of certain disinfectants,  I often go into shops near closing time to avoid the crowds, unfortunately at that time the staff are often cleaning the floors.  And the smell of disinfectant makes me feel ill.  It reminds me of my many hospital stays.  Where they used the same disinfectant on their floors.

I love the smell of books, especially a brand new one as I open and read it for the first time.  Different types of paper have very distinctive smells.  These remind me of my childhood and pleasant memories of libraries and bookshops.

• For me; I hate the smell of kitchen roll and toilet roll (yes, they do have a smell people), tea (contrary to you), there's also a very odd smell when cups & plates have been washed, I can't put my finger on what it is but it makes me gag, petrol I hate, always have to shut the door if I'm with one of my parents filling the car.

I like the smell of washed clothes straight out of the machine, aftershave, sponges when they've had gel on them, plus a few more, but that'll do.

• Smells I hate:

Eggs - literally make me sick.

Perfumes.

Car fumes.

Cigarette smoke.

Bonfire smoke.

Smells I love:

The countryside.

Shampoo.

Car leather.

Sheep, cattle and horses.

Apples and bananas.

• I really hate cigarette smoke smell, but my boyfriend has been smoking for years. I've recently brought him a vape from [link removed by moderator] cause the smell is much better, in my opinion, and you can choose the flavor.

• I don't know if it is just me but I think the fumes off printed material have got stronger. There is a give-away magazine in my area that I cannot open, so over-power is the smell that comes off it.

I don't like strong perfumes either whatever product they are in.

I don't like the smell of electrical circuits, burning rubber, rotting vegitation, rotting meat even more so, exhaust fumes.

• Easy said:
    and Toast is a huh ? Maybe because it brings on anxiety about burning down the house ? Seems to be an issue with association rather than the smell itself.

I'm pretty sure it's mostly sensory. 'Cos it's not just toast, but anything that gets burnt to the point of being almost purely carbon. However, I really dislike that burnt carbony tatse, and I am very particular about just how toasted toast should be, so there may be an element of association, just not an anxiety association thing.

• Agree with Hope's list,

I also find hand cream nasty, surprised its not mentioned more.

The smell of a real fire gives such a warm safe feeling at this time of year.

a few disagreements with Scorpie,

I dont like new car smells, remind me of cancerous chemicals.

I like country smells, even walking past a big pile of poo is OK.

Car exhausts are Ok, Diesel lorries are bad and I hold my breath but I guess thats normal.

and Toast is a huh ? Maybe because it brings on anxiety about burning down the house ? Seems to be an issue with association rather than the smell itself.

• Hope said:
    Cigarette smoke - I have to hold my breath when walking past a smoker, or walk in the opposite direction.

I know a cure for that! Take up smoking! And don't quit, ever.

No, don't, not really. Smoking's a bad and disgusting habit. However...

It's sort of wierd, I sort of used to smoke (I say 'sort of' because part of my 'stopping smoking' is by not 'stopping smoking' (I know that sounds like it doesn't make sense, and is a whole other thread, but trust me it does make sense (and has to do with the psychology of addiction and the whole stop-fail-rebound cycle))), anyway, as I was saying, I sort of used to smoke, and when I did I never noticed the smell of cigarette smoke, ever.

But, now I've sort of stopped, I hate it, can't stand even walking behind someone who is a smoker but isn't smoking! And it's not a because it makes me want to smoke - quit the opposite - it is the most repulsive smell!

Anyway, my list:

Like:

• Bacon.
    • Freshly baked bread.
    • Tea.
    • Bonfire smoke.
    • 'New consumer goods' smell.
    • Rain.
    • Strawberry.

Dislike:

• 'Countryside'/'animal' smells.
    • Car exhausts.