Introduce yourself (part one)

Hi everyone,

We thought we'd create a discussion where people can say hello and introduce themselves.

You don't have to say something here but it'd be nice to get a chance to say hello Smile

Please remember that you should not share personal details (such as emails or phone numbers) to protect your privacy.

And don't feel you have to introduce yourself, it's entirely up to you and please only share what you're comfortable with.

Parents
  • Hi all,

We (me and my wife Amanda) have two children Leah 8 and Christopher 9 soon to be 10 in october. Christopher has recently, after several years of problematic schooling, and various assesment and different agencies being brought in (CAMS, EBSS, Ed physche, etc) been diagnosed with Aspergers.

The school he is at now(we moved him from his previous school as they were not giving any support) after suspending him 3 times in as many years have pushed and pushed for a diagnosis, but as a lot of his "symtoms" for want of a better word, were no different to how i was as a kid i was a little apprehensive and got a little frustrated that schools these days cannot manage kids in the way that i was, instead they want to label my child and do this that and the other, unfortunately raps on the knuckles with wooden rulers, or a thrash with your own plimsole infront of the class is not PC anymore, which although never did me any harm is a fair point, but they've recoiled so far to the other extreme its unreal, and the incidents where chris has become frustrated or oppositional could have soon been dissapated with stern talking to or even a firm hand, but instead they ring us to come into school.

TBH thats been the most difficult part of this journey, is being brought round to the modern way of schooling, and its only at school where any serious problems arose, but looking back thats because at home we've grown to manage christopher without even realising we've adapted to avoid situations that cause him difficulties. The other was, until Leah started at the same school a year after chris, was the looks and gossip that point the finger at us being bad parents, but as Leah has come to the school and shined, behaviouraly and accademically, we have felt a little vindicated.

Anyway he's started year 5 and all is well so far, but with the diagnosis it does feel like the pressure is off a little, as the school pushed and pushed for it, now they have it the onus is on them to manage the known issues.......

But anyway, think i've rambled on enough for my first post, and hope to chat/ post with some like minded people

regards

Steve 

• Hi all,

We (me and my wife Amanda) have two children Leah 8 and Christopher 9 soon to be 10 in october. Christopher has recently, after several years of problematic schooling, and various assesment and different agencies being brought in (CAMS, EBSS, Ed physche, etc) been diagnosed with Aspergers.

The school he is at now(we moved him from his previous school as they were not giving any support) after suspending him 3 times in as many years have pushed and pushed for a diagnosis, but as a lot of his "symtoms" for want of a better word, were no different to how i was as a kid i was a little apprehensive and got a little frustrated that schools these days cannot manage kids in the way that i was, instead they want to label my child and do this that and the other, unfortunately raps on the knuckles with wooden rulers, or a thrash with your own plimsole infront of the class is not PC anymore, which although never did me any harm is a fair point, but they've recoiled so far to the other extreme its unreal, and the incidents where chris has become frustrated or oppositional could have soon been dissapated with stern talking to or even a firm hand, but instead they ring us to come into school.

TBH thats been the most difficult part of this journey, is being brought round to the modern way of schooling, and its only at school where any serious problems arose, but looking back thats because at home we've grown to manage christopher without even realising we've adapted to avoid situations that cause him difficulties. The other was, until Leah started at the same school a year after chris, was the looks and gossip that point the finger at us being bad parents, but as Leah has come to the school and shined, behaviouraly and accademically, we have felt a little vindicated.

Anyway he's started year 5 and all is well so far, but with the diagnosis it does feel like the pressure is off a little, as the school pushed and pushed for it, now they have it the onus is on them to manage the known issues.......

But anyway, think i've rambled on enough for my first post, and hope to chat/ post with some like minded people

regards

Steve 

Children
No Data