Things that confuse me about haircuts

Neurotypicals seem to place quite a high priority on how their hair looks and I really don't understand their fixation with it. For example:

1. Why they talk about going to the hairdresser (who cares?)
  2. Why they enjoy having their hair cut (bright lights, horrible chemical smells and a hairdresser who talks incessant b*****ks)
  3. Why they walk up to you periodically with a big grin and say, "So, what do you think? Do you like it?" (as if I'm expected to notice that something has changed. Hint: I never do)
  4. Why they constantly brush, fluff-up or re-style their hair throughout the day (I ran a cursory brush through it when I got up, and I go to work to, y'know, work, not play with my hair all day)
  5. Why hairdressers are always trying to convince you to 'try something new' (err, it's taken me a decade to find something that both looks and feels acceptable, why would I change that?)
  6. Why they cost so much (especially with the amount of torment we have to put up with, per point 2, frankly we should be paid to be sat there)

Do you understand it? Funny stories and explanations both welcome and encouraged.

Parents
  • It's an interesting topic - this whole hair and beauty/grooming thing. I do have my hair quite longish and regular cut and styled ect but I really do not enjoy it. It's like going to the dentist, I just want to get it over with. I've been to Spa days with friends and it was so regimented it was like being in prison Grimacing  I've had unwanted comments about my appearance ie, you're over 40, why do you still have long hair! If someone asks me; 'have you always had fine hair?' I'm tempted to reply, no, I was born with a full afro. 

• It's an interesting topic - this whole hair and beauty/grooming thing. I do have my hair quite longish and regular cut and styled ect but I really do not enjoy it. It's like going to the dentist, I just want to get it over with. I've been to Spa days with friends and it was so regimented it was like being in prison Grimacing  I've had unwanted comments about my appearance ie, you're over 40, why do you still have long hair! If someone asks me; 'have you always had fine hair?' I'm tempted to reply, no, I was born with a full afro. 

Children
  • It's like going to the dentist, I just want to get it over with.

Fantastic analogy, love it.

If someone asks me; 'have you always had fine hair?' I'm tempted to reply, no, I was born with a full afro. 

JoyJoy

I have fine hair too. I find it's better behaved if I keep it long and all one length. I'm 37 but look about 27. Wonder if I'll start getting those kinda comments once I reach 40?