What’s everyone doing this weekend?

I am in a caravan (week on holiday) currently watching match of the day (not my choice) with my 2 year old who won’t go to sleep! Earlier I went to Wroxham barns with my 5 year old and bought souvenirs in the gift shops, went in the animal farm part and had afternoon tea with my 5 year old. I just wondered what everyone else is doing this weekend? 

Parents Reply Children
  • Good luck! With both family and cake! :-)

• Yeh. I'm offering up more info about myself now- will see how it goes

oooh! good idea with the butter. I'll try that. It's cake day today. More eggs/less butter day today :)

• No worries! I also struggle to relate to situations which I am not in myself. I think that listening and giving your attention to the person who is in pain are really good traits :-) Perhaps your family need to listen to you? We can only begin to start to understand and support another person if we listen to their experience.

If you want pockets of warm gloopy almond butter in cakes, I would suggest making cupcakes and after you have put the mixture into the cupcake cases but before you put them in the oven, put dollops of almond butter into the middle of the unbaked cupcakes. Works well with chocolate so should work with almond butter, hopefully!

• This is difficult to try relate as I'm on my own and have been a long time. I've not been successful in relationships and do now think post dx that I could have done more. I can certainly empathise but I am more comfortable to listen- to give my attention to the person in pain than being physically supportive, but I feel my family have just not known what to do with me over the years and it's all come to a full stop. What a mess :) 

I think I was expecting pockets of gloopy warm almond butter in the cake (OMG that would be so good) but I guess with all the liquids, it diluted. Definitely more eggs next time to start with 

• This link might partly explain why non-autistic people find it difficult to understand the autistic mind set and conversely why we find it difficult to understand their mind set.

The issue that I’m having at the moment is surrounding empathy. My husband keeps complaining that I and my autistic friends are completely lacking in empathy. I will be honest and say that I find it incredibly difficult to see the world from someone else’s perspective. I have taught myself last year to try to imagine how I would feel in a situation so assume that this is how the other person might feel in the same situation BUT this takes massive effort and a lot of cognitive processing time and it is not something that I do either frequently or naturally. So I keep saying to my husband, ok so if you’re so good at being empathetic then show me how it’s done. There’s been a few situations recently where I’ve felt that he needs to try to understand either mine of my eldest daughter’s perspective better so I’ve asked him to try to put himself in our shoes and imagine how we feel in that situation and he literally can’t (or won’t)!!!

Pot calling the kettle black really, wouldn’t you say?

If you’re using the almond butter for the taste then might be better to use almond essence, or amaretto for a stronger almond flavour. Good luck with the eggs and purée Slight smile

• With my family, I think they're a bit bewildered. There's now a reason why I'm different but I don't think it's helped. They don't ask questions. They're quite socially conforming I think and they find it difficult when I rebel against that.

Well the butter was a try but it didn't work. Probably need to pop a whole £5 jar in for it to taste :/

Will be trying more eggs though as suggested and a puree :)

• I find that it sometimes be difficult to get family members to understand how Autism works and how they can help us. Are your family understanding?

I've never used Almond butter. I bought some more plums today to make another plum pie later in the week. But plums are going out of season so I'm going to have to switch it up next week!

Tiredness and lack of awareness of when she is causing others pain on my daughter's part, bless her! 

• I tend to be more open and explain that what I'm doing is part of my AS. So I just tell them what I do or how I feel when I'm on my own at home. 

It's the same cake every week, Kitsune. But I did add some Almond butter this time. It's very expensive isn't it so I don't think it shows up in the cake- couldn't taste it.

That does sound like tiredness. On holiday? Excited kids?

• Good that they’re all good Slight smile What AS observations have you made this week, if you don’t mind me asking? What cake did you make today? 
    This evening’s challenge is trying to get my youngest to go to sleep in her room in the caravan, after she worked out how to open the bedroom door earlier! She is currently climbing all over me and trying to pick a freckle off of my face, clearly tired!

• Yes thanks Kitsune. They are all good. I'm usually pretty quiet around them but lately I'm reporting back to them my weekly AS observations.
    Today's cake came out not bad- I have started adding Almond butter
    MOTD and wine. That'll work