motor/coordination skills

I find this so hilariously annoying and wonder if anyone else suffers this:

I have trouble putting small food into my mouth with my hands. I've taken up eating dry fruit and nuts lately and I miss my mouth a lot.

Would this be a trait at all? I'm clumsy as hell anyway.

Parents
  • These difficulties may be explained by what lies at the heart of the autistic experience. Atypical sensorimotor feedback loops that produce difficulties coordinating sensory input into effective planning and execution of movement.

These sensorimotor difficulties can account for reduced social attention in early development, which in turn has a cascading effect on the subsequent development of social and communicative skills.

Large parts of the cerebral cortex in the parietal and frontal lobes are involved in transforming sensory information into action.

Movement is performed to both execute a physical task and to collect sensory information. Without precise control of movement, sensory input will prove atypical. For an example, refer to the voluminous literature on the role of eye gaze in autistic individuals, and the generative repercussions for social cognition.

Other parts of the brain, such as the posterior parietal association areas, process visual and somatosensory input and also issue commands to motor areas. In fact many areas, including it has recently been discovered, the cerebellum, participate in  sensory and cognitive tasks.

It is also not possible to ascribe top-levels of the Central Nervous System with particular tasks - motor, sensory or cognitive - it is a process of interaction that allows us to perform complex functions.

A similar interaction between interoceptive, exteroceptive, proprioceptive mechanisms and the environment is necessary to perform fine motor movements.

Information taken from:

The role of Sensorimotor Difficulties in Autism Spectrum Conditions. Online here.

The Central Nervous System : Structure and Function / Per Brodal. — 4th ed.

The Prefrontal Cortex 4th Ed., Joaquín M. Fuster

• These difficulties may be explained by what lies at the heart of the autistic experience. Atypical sensorimotor feedback loops that produce difficulties coordinating sensory input into effective planning and execution of movement.

These sensorimotor difficulties can account for reduced social attention in early development, which in turn has a cascading effect on the subsequent development of social and communicative skills.

Large parts of the cerebral cortex in the parietal and frontal lobes are involved in transforming sensory information into action.

Movement is performed to both execute a physical task and to collect sensory information. Without precise control of movement, sensory input will prove atypical. For an example, refer to the voluminous literature on the role of eye gaze in autistic individuals, and the generative repercussions for social cognition.

Other parts of the brain, such as the posterior parietal association areas, process visual and somatosensory input and also issue commands to motor areas. In fact many areas, including it has recently been discovered, the cerebellum, participate in  sensory and cognitive tasks.

It is also not possible to ascribe top-levels of the Central Nervous System with particular tasks - motor, sensory or cognitive - it is a process of interaction that allows us to perform complex functions.

A similar interaction between interoceptive, exteroceptive, proprioceptive mechanisms and the environment is necessary to perform fine motor movements.

Information taken from:

The role of Sensorimotor Difficulties in Autism Spectrum Conditions. Online here.

The Central Nervous System : Structure and Function / Per Brodal. — 4th ed.

The Prefrontal Cortex 4th Ed., Joaquín M. Fuster

Children
  • Thankyou, Graham.

For all my earlier goofing and making light of things, over the past few years I've been becoming more and more aware of how tightly bound the social and emotional effects of autism are with its deeper sensory and perceptual aspects.

I realise now, for example, that my attempts to mimic typical body language are far less successful than I once believed, because the problems with mirroring which I mentioned in my earlier post give me a false perception of how I look from the outside. And when I was receiving therapy for my alexithymia, I was surprised at first that there was so much emphasis on actively directing attention to my interoception; but I now know that my body is part of the reporting and regulatory systems of emotion. For cognitive empathy to work effectively, it might be said that "theory of body" is required in addition to "theory of mind".