What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?

More light hearted fun Slight smile 

What’s the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?

I’ll start, though mine was slightly more night terror than dream! One night last year I was dreaming that I was looking around my grandparents old house, except that there was an extra bit of house at the back, behind where the stairs were, so I went to explore it when suddenly a ghost jumped out and grabbed me by the wrists! I could physically feel something holding my wrists too, I remember physically shaking myself to wake up! Had to sleep with the door ajar for a few weeks afterwards too!

Parents
  • This might take some explaining..

In most of my dreams there is absolutely no difference between the dream and reality.. I fall asleep and then wake myself up.. a minute in a dream is the same as a minute in the real world and quite often I'm unsure if I'm awake or asleep.. 

The strangest dream Ive had though was when I thought id see how far I could travel from my body.. so I jumped in my car and drove aprox 6 miles away and then had the same feeling as when I wake myself up.. "I bite the back of my hand to wake myself up.." the feeling is like magnetism pulling me back..

When I wake in my dream there is no difference at all.. same sounds, smells, colours everything's the same..

I've totally got used to it but I do remember my first ones and it was very frightening and claustrophobic.. my dad and my middle son also have the same thing..

Anyone else..?

• I'd heard of people having the occasional dream within a dream, but your experience is extraordinary to me - even the most mundane of my dreams, I would never confuse for reality for a moment; they either lack clarity or are outlandish.

And fascinating that it seems to be hereditary (I see no way that anyone could be taught to do it.).

I've met a few lucid dreamers, which seems to be part of your experience, but I don't recall any of them ever mentioning their dreams being indistinguishable from waking. Have you ever met or heard of any others who dream like this?

• I'd heard of people having the occasional dream within a dream

This happens to me.I seem to remember only very recently having a dream in which I had a dream, woke, went to sleep the next night and had another dream referring to / continuing on from the first, then woke from both that dream and the original dream (i.e. up 2 levels into "reality").

What I also get though, is when fishing out memories like this, is not being able to pin it down and be sure that it happened at all, or I dreamed telling someone the story above and now falsely believe it happened!

Anyone on this thread seen the film "Inception"?

• I guess if we have the choice to stay in a happy world then it is best to do that. I'm not sure that I would want to stay in my dreams though, I've never really thought about it before tbh, hmm! food for thought!

• Yes I really enjoyed Inception. One thing that I remember being interested is quite philosophical - some of the characters were at a very deep level where a lifetime spent there equated to about a second in the "real" world, and there was something in the "real" world that was about to kill them if they didn't take action. I remember thinking - they are having a very nice life in that deep level and could by all impressions live out their lives happily there, so where does the imperative to act to stop the danger in the "real" world come from? Why does it matter? Why not just stay there being happy?

Another way to look at it is that we could all be dreaming and "about" to be killed in a "higher" "real" world in about 100 years of our time; should we care?

• Yes I really enjoyed Inception. One thing that I remember being interested is quite philosophical - some of the characters were at a very deep level where a lifetime spent there equated to about a second in the "real" world, and there was something in the "real" world that was about to kill them if they didn't take action. I remember thinking - they are having a very nice life in that deep level and could by all impressions live out their lives happily there, so where does the imperative to act to stop the danger in the "real" world come from? Why does it matter? Why not just stay there being happy?

Another way to look at it is that we could all be dreaming and "about" to be killed in a "higher" "real" world in about 100 years of our time; should we care?

Children