Feeling frequently interrupted

Ok so this is very much a case of wanting to get something off my chest and to see if this is at all relatable for others especially as I am yet to get an official diagnosis (I am on the waiting list) 

I frequently find myself feeling disturbed and interrupted not just by other people but also sensory stimulation such as noise and smells. I sometimes like to zone out a little, maybe even imagine scenarios or conversations in my head. In short I enjoy daydreaming. I have always felt like doing so allows me to have my own perspective on the world around me. 

The problem of course is that life in general doesn't always allow it. If I am walking down the road in my own bubble and so much as a car comes past, or someone wearing perfume my train of thought can be completely ruined and I feel like I have to start again. 

How does one find a way to live like this? 

Parents
  • I very much relate to your comments. And here I am at the outset of my 7th decade, and nothing much has changed. You are probably going to have to accept that this is your individual style. Perhaps one thing that might help is to realise that some places are just a bit better than others for your creative interludes. I very much think, however, that you should endeavour to keep doing something that is undoubtedly both productive and enjoyable for you; but bear in mind that you can choose appropriate venues and times to do so. For example, I will often switch off the music in my car when negotiating a challenging junction. And we are talking about driving in one of the most dangerous road safety locations in the World. (But actually, I find music helps me to concentrate on driving most of the time, and even blocks out some of the distracting passenger chat. I have a pretty good driving record.)

Reply Children
No Data