Cake

I just ‘had’ to start a cake thread! I had loads of leftover Easter Eggs and finally found an excellent way to use (some of) them up! Enter the Honeycomb Milk Chocolate Easter Egg Fudge Cake Slight smile I made a chocolate fudge cake using Easter Eggs instead of Dark Chocolate and Honeycomb Hot Chocolate powder instead of Cocoa powder. The result is a delicious combination of Honeycomb, fudge and Chocolate Easter Egg! The smell is Devine too, my kitchen smells of Honeycomb and fudge!

So, what’s the best cake you’ve ever baked?

What’s the best cake you’ve bought from a bakery?

What is your favourite cake?

Actually any cake related answers are ok Slight smile

• CAKE! I love cake. I make my own after giving up sugar. It has its own sugars from dried fruit and crystal ginger (wash off the sugar on the ginger but need to steep my own ginger with honey sometime). 

• Some very delicious looking cakes.  :)

• Had to share my plum and cardamom pie that I’ve just made, I shall enjoy a slice of that later Yum

• Either! Custard is always good!

• I made these chocolate button cupcakes this morning to take to a lunch time picnic with some women from the Autistic women’s group that I run. They were delivered still warm with the chocolate still melted and gooey Slight smile more ways to use up leftover chocolate!

• Hi, the Angel cake that you made for your mum sounds delicious!

Regarding the flour. I use disposable Vinyl gloves (you can buy boxes of these from BM stores quite cheaply) when handling and cutting up raw meat or fish, largely for food hygiene purposes but also because raw meat is very slimy! Do you think that wearing disposable vinyl gloves when cooking/baking, to avoid having to touch the flour, would help you?

I'm happy for people to share cake baking tips, cake recipes etc on this thread :-)

• Thanks for explaining! Chocolate cakes are good! I need inventive chocolate cake recipes to use up all the Easter eggs and chocolate hanging around this house at the moment, there's too much! That Jamie Oliver! First he wrecks Irn Bru and now he's wrecked Gelt cakes too!!

I haven't made a cheesecake in a while, maybe I should make a chocolate cheesecake?

Eli's cakes seem good!

I've had Bailey's cheesecake before, it's 'very' good! There used to be a posh food store near here that sold slices of extremely decadent cheesecake. My eldest daughter and I used to get a slice each every Sunday, as well as Bailey's we had Oreo cheesecake from there and salted caramel. Its a shame that shop shut down!

• Hi - i just joined looking for some baking tips! Btw my fav cake was a an Angel food cake i made for my mom (trying to duplicate her mom's). Covered in pink seven minute frosting and dozens of fresh sliced strawberries from the garden (june bday.)

Im actually on here wondering if anyone has ideas for me. Im getting really into cooking and baking, but touching flour can be incredibly difficult for me. It makes kneading or rolling out dough a tough experience while im trying to use cooking/baking to calm me down.

Does anyone else face this issue and have ideas?

• I used to really like ginger cake, never tried it with ice-cream or custard though. Homemade custard or shop bought?

• These are always winners.

Always on offer and you can smack a few slices in the microwave and eat it with icecream. As it says on the pack too "Great with custard"!

• No problem! Gelt cake is a cake for Chanukkah, it always has chocolate coins in it. Made from chocolate too. My cousin makes her's with flat Coca-Cola to avoid the whole milk and meat being mixed thing. Sounds vile but it works a treat. Well probably not now since Jamie Oliver destroyed pop.

I'm a cheesecake fan in general, but the baked ones have that layer to add to them! Vanilla is my favourite though.

Eli's is really rich and tastes very dairy.

I had a Bailey's cheesecake recently, really, really good!

• I do hope my cake thread isn't being a bad influence? Did you enjoy the Birthday cake?

• I messed up!

Yesterday I went to my sister's 60th birthday do.  And I broke my diet.  I ate two massive portions of birthday cake.

• Slight smile Well of course! I couldn’t let the cake go to waste!

• "which means I’m going to have to eat another slice of that cake later!"

It's not easy, but someone has to do it.  ;)

• Mad houses are good Slight smile My house can be a bit like that too sometimes! 

Your mum’s poppy cake sounds really delicious Yum 

It’s good that you were able to help her by measuring out all of the ingredients for her Slight smile

• I’m sure that your cupcakes are great! Did you decorate them? My children love decorating cup cakes!

Chocolate brownies are amazing! Feel free to share your recipe Slight smile My eldest daughter (21) makes brownies frequently, including white chocolate brownies. I could ask her for a few of her brownie recipes to share if you like?

• When I say I eat clean, what I mean is that I follow slimming world. I lost 2 1/2 stone on it. I don’t want to lose anymore weight but I still follow it, just with a few more syns. What’s so great about that particular eating plan is the amount of ‘free’ food you can eat, including carbs, free food doesn’t need weighing or measuring either. You can lose weight without being constantly hungry! So my lunch that I’m about to eat of baked salmon, rice and fresh tomatoes is completely ‘free’ and I can eat as much of it as I want to Slight smile You also get a syn allowance every day which you can eat while still losing weight. As I’m trying to weight maintain, I need to eat a few more syns, which means I’m going to have to eat another slice of that cake later!

• I always eat clean, I just eat too much is my problem lol.  The app on my phone says I've lost almost 2kg since the beginning of July.  I don't think that's a whole lot for a month of what feels like near starvation, but it's a start I suppose.  On the other hand I did start taking a creatine supplement around the same time, which supposedly leads to a couple of kg weight gain in water retention, so maybe that's offset my readings. 

• I lived in what can only be described as a mad house.

We all had different quirks and disabilities. 

My mother had a cooking and baking obsession.  The poppy cake was one of our favourites and one of the few she actually got right. The poppies were soaked in milk for hours,  then they were grinded two or three times through a grinder, then mixed with raisins,  then different types of pastry were added.

One thing she couldn't do was use kitchen Scales.  We tried different types with no success.  So I helped,  we read the cookery book together,  and I measured out the recommended amounts of milk, sugar, butter, flour, yeast and she did the actual mixing and cooking.