Cake

I just ‘had’ to start a cake thread! I had loads of leftover Easter Eggs and finally found an excellent way to use (some of) them up! Enter the Honeycomb Milk Chocolate Easter Egg Fudge Cake Slight smile I made a chocolate fudge cake using Easter Eggs instead of Dark Chocolate and Honeycomb Hot Chocolate powder instead of Cocoa powder. The result is a delicious combination of Honeycomb, fudge and Chocolate Easter Egg! The smell is Devine too, my kitchen smells of Honeycomb and fudge!

So, what’s the best cake you’ve ever baked?

What’s the best cake you’ve bought from a bakery?

What is your favourite cake?

Actually any cake related answers are ok Slight smile

Parents
  • My mother was the obsessive cook in the family.  She baked cakes often twice a week. 

One of her recipes was a poppy seed cake.   This cake was made up of around 50% poppy seed.

My sister described her experience of eating this cake at work.  She was working in an open plan office in a university administration department. And one of her colleagues was shocked that she was eating 'IT' just like that.   Biting and swallowing whole pieces.  He thought she was eating whole bars of raw opium seeds.

It's not opium, but edible European poppy.  Although I have heard that the two are closely related .  And drugs tests can mistake one for the other.

• I don’t think that I’ve ever eaten poppy cake. Do you like it? 

Slight smile So your sister’s work colleague thought your sisters was eating opium cake! Hopefully he got corrected?

What other types of cake did your mother used to make? 

• I lived in what can only be described as a mad house.

We all had different quirks and disabilities. 

My mother had a cooking and baking obsession.  The poppy cake was one of our favourites and one of the few she actually got right. The poppies were soaked in milk for hours,  then they were grinded two or three times through a grinder, then mixed with raisins,  then different types of pastry were added.

One thing she couldn't do was use kitchen Scales.  We tried different types with no success.  So I helped,  we read the cookery book together,  and I measured out the recommended amounts of milk, sugar, butter, flour, yeast and she did the actual mixing and cooking.

• I lived in what can only be described as a mad house.

We all had different quirks and disabilities. 

My mother had a cooking and baking obsession.  The poppy cake was one of our favourites and one of the few she actually got right. The poppies were soaked in milk for hours,  then they were grinded two or three times through a grinder, then mixed with raisins,  then different types of pastry were added.

One thing she couldn't do was use kitchen Scales.  We tried different types with no success.  So I helped,  we read the cookery book together,  and I measured out the recommended amounts of milk, sugar, butter, flour, yeast and she did the actual mixing and cooking.

Children