Weeny Peeves

Glad Tidings, Anyone reading. Please add your own 'Weeny Peeve', here, and VENT about it, if needs must. A Small (weeny) thing, which is irritating (peevish)... enough to be irritating, yet not so large as to breakdown One's life... I shall try examples of what I mean, thusly:

...Packets which say:"Pull here to open" --- Yet upon pulling, only the "Pull Here" part opens, and One must resort to the use of tools such as Scissors to open the rest of the darn thing.

...That floating bit of FLUFF which just *will not land* and so can constantly evade being swept up or cleaned away. (Vacuum Cleaners must be employed, here.)

...Things which state that they cost under "X" amount of money, yet only because they cost "X minus 1 plus 99-pence"... The saving of just 1 Pence is ALWAYS touted loudly as a bargain!

...TV Shows which are fictional but when beginning to discuss a real-life impasse, it is as if the writers know this and so change the subject... usually with something loud/dramatic/exploding.

...Not something I myself do, but have often seen done: When eating something "crunchy", upon the first bite, the rest of it fairly disintegrates so much that collecting the fragments is no longer worth any nutrition gained from the effort.

... Even if no-one else replies, I Myself may add to this Thread, now that I have started it, for everyday things. Good Fortune and Stay Safe, All.

• You need a login/password account for everything now (iPlayer, ITV, More4) but why can't the system identify that you are in the UK, with a UK email address, UK IP address, etc?

I do not need even more bloody passwords to try and remember - now if I miss something then I will never catch up so my viewing figure will be lost (if more did that then they might do something).

Computers

• Open Windows via the icon to Shut down the machine.
    • Every new version on software changes things around (or buries/hides it e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and also removes very useful functionality (Microsoft SharePoint comes to mind here).
    • The move from purchasing software to renting it (If I can still use Office 95 through 2010 on my 14 year old PC then WHY do I need Office 365?).
    • Google keeps wanting me to create an account to accept the damn terms of use/etc - NO, stop the pop-up period.
    • People who think purchasing a £300 every two years is better than a £900 every eight (AS - Do it one and do it right).

• I really hate 'reality' shows that have nothing to do with reality.  Scripted, wooden acting from morons making a load of cash from other morons watching them. 

Car shows with no car content - just a bunch of grown men acting like  5 year olds faffing around to an imaginary deadline.  Not interested - show me the nuts & bolts and how to do things.

Also - why do car shows have to have loud electric guitar blues as a soundtrack?

And - Discovery Channel 'factual TV' that is filled with fake TV shows? Why?

• Why not start a cars thread?  Just 'cos you don't drive doesn't mean you don't have an opinion on them.

• Thanks Again DC:-

Full lifetime cost of something includes design and manufacture.  So why are the greens chomping at the bit about solution.  If my well maintained 20 year old car still works and is still driven around 5000 miles a year then what is wrong with that?  Yes you have designed in a 7-10 year life of it or 200,000 miles but due to low mileage then it has not yet worn out.

Electric vehicles - What is the life/replacement cost to the user as well as the environment for the huge bank of batteries?

I did the maths with my friend and worked out it would take 10 years to save of fuel to match say a £3k purchase of a newer vehicle (double that in real terms to be in the black).  So what actually is planet saving and green?

• One for the road .....

Herbal pills that are supposed to be good for the memory .... discovered unopened at back of cupboard and well out of date. 

And another....

Relaxing bubble bath with the lid so tightly screwed on it winds me up just getting it open! (Good job it wasn’t a glass bottle!)

• Just woken from a stonking nightmare so broke my nighttime no phone rule to reorientate myself and calm down. Just read this thread, or most of it. Lightened my load. Almost had me laughing out loud. (Don’t want to disturb the neighbours!) 

Agree with so many peeves on this thread. Will probably add some weeny ones in daylight hours. (I’m already breaking my self imposed curfew as I’m meant to be asleep!) 

Just wanted to say thanks DC for this thread and also to the contributors. It’s been a huge comfort to me. 

(I am RvW by the way, but locked myself out of that Avatar and all it’s stuff completely. Any confusion caused not intentional.) 

• I miss watching the tv screen go slowly dark then black when it was bed time, national anthem uh oh, quick switch it off or we will have to stand up whilst it plays. Click,, off it goes, then watch as a dot appears centre of screen, good old cathode Ray, so simple to fix, a good thwack to iether side or indeed the top would settle a picture that scrolled up or down. 

And what ever happened to the test card, the game of naughts and crosses needed finishing st least surely?

So much fun reading all the replies, 

thsnk you all for adding to it.

X()x

• Again you are so right, also how can it be that a fridge and a freeezer can be trusted to be left on even when left several days alone, 

A kettle or toaster cannot be trusted and should be unplugged as are most things, 

it used to be thst washing machines were not to be trusted, now such things can actually play tunes, 

Heating indeed, a totally new thread is needed, apparently you can switch it on or off even when not at home by using a mobile phone?

All very good as s the ability to lock or unlock the doors using the internet, a shame when no internet is available and you find yourself locked inside unable to get out, yikes, 

Thsnk you for cheering me up and for everyone adding to this fantastic post. It is good to see I am not the only one to be peeved by such things.

Also I have yet to find out if the light inside actually does go out inside a fridge when the door is closed ?or does it ?

I must crawl inside one day to find out Lol.

X()X

• Hi friend :) 

yes you DC, thank you for accepting my friend request, sorry you still cannot receive PM replies :( 

I hoped things had changed on this site! Silly me, 

The fact you accepted my request is more than enough for me to know you regard me as your friend, yay, wow, 

and well done finding how to add emojis. I really do understand your frustrations regarding old devices, I too had one when I first joined here, it was hard work just opening each new thread, trying to reply was even harder, the reply box was tiny, the only text visible was one line, to scroll meant trying to put my big clumsy finger in a tiny little arrow, often the whole page moved not the line of text I had typed arghhhh. Much frustration. 

I was lucky to be given a chance to buy a new device, it was a lot of money but the company I work for gave most of it in the way of a gift to me. 

Please do not think just because you cannot PM or receive messages you are not a friend, we have been friends without friend requests or PM messages, 

Keep being you and I will be me, it seems to be ok.

I like your humour, I like your posts, 42 replies also tells me others also enjoy the topic you chose, You have given us a place to vent and have fun, we need more fun, 

yay to yourself,

Take care my winged werecat, and one day you will have a new device and maybe a tarantula pet to ward of giant beings that you wish not to get in your way.

Much respect to you, sorry if I caused you to not like the internet, it often causes me an old fogey to give up when suddenly confronted with things I have no understanding of!

Things that are considered “ so easy that everyone knows don’t they?”

I don’t and it’s only easy if you know how, I do know how to drive an excavator with great ability. Yay me.

Not everyone can do thst, I don’t know why as it’s so so easy surely even a child could do that?

Lol. 

Keep posting I need to smile . 

X()x

• DC please do not be concerned to much that you cannot PM, or should I say receive PM messages. 

I do remember you saying many times you couldn’t with your old devices, I thought maybe as the NAS had changed a lot of how the site is run that it was worth at least trying again, I am sorry you can’t. It matters not to me, I can talk freely to you, I have nothing to hide or anything that shouldn’t be seen by others, I just wanted to give my opinion about how I saw the “ current climate” and to see what you thought also. 

As you say certain things could blow up into more than they should. 

I regard you as a friend as you have been here a long time like me, we have both shared an interest in many subjects, ok not all but that’s good also.

Please do not feel you should stop posting here, it is your post, it has been successful, many enjoy it as do I. It’s a very good topic, it is about light hearted things that “ peeve” us daily.

Just be YOU. 

X()x

• This is A TV-Themed entry from Me, this time...

When the Background Music to a Film/TV Show is waaaaay better than the Programme itself.

That "twinkly Piano Music" which is always the mainstay of 'daytime' TV Dramas.

The fact that I wonder if it would not just be cheaper for David Suchet to grow his *own* moustache?

When I am conversing with someone over the sound of a TV, and someone in that TV Programme then says a couple of the same words EXACTLY. This is pretty spooky... (!)

Also, in walking in upon a TV Series/Film, or tuning in too late, I sometimes wind up catching EXACTLY the same Moment or Episode. This can happen many, many times. It is as if the TV is trying to tell Me something...(!!)

( ...After those last two written, is it appropriate that I mention the "Weeny Peeve" of "Discordant Music"?... (e.g. - "OoooohWeeeeOoooo"). And again, We do not need this, due to already knowing who the Bad Guy is --- He is Upperclass English with slicked-Back Hair, right? )

The fact that I cannot put silly things onto a TV Screen and have them STICK there any more. (The old 'Cathode Ray Tube' Televisions were heavy but they were fun that way!)

When a TV is turned off, even from the Wall, disconnected... and that little red light is still on. This is "stored charge", but it sometimes seems to be watching until One's back is turned, and *then* it will go off. (!!)

With Digital TV... when they change/update/move the Channel information or a TV Channel... And then do it again the next Day. And the next Week.

A common thing, when the Aerial connector has slipped out in a way that is not obvious: -- Oh No The TV is broken! Is there a Thunderstorm outside? The Picture is all pixellated! My TV is squeaking! And now it's shrieking! There is *NO SIGNAL*! There is No Power! The World is Ending! The Channels have disappea... Oh, wait, shove that bit back in and It's okay now, sorry for the fuss. ;-)

TV adverts attempting to 'reprogram my brain', by rewriting new lyrics to old songs or updating a previously successful Ad Campaign.
    (Beanz Meanz Heinz. Vorsprung Durch Technik. Yes, ToysRUs WAS always 'Worth the Journey'. Yes, It WAS a pity that they don't make other Cars like Saab Cars. But now... when I see a person who is quite large, I just think: "Are Ya Gonna Beeeeeeeiiiiiinnnngo??")

Remote controls are another thing which could start their own Thread. The symbols try to be the same. But they lead to very different avenues upon differing Televisions. Buttons which do the job straightaway upon one TV, may lead to a deep and complicated Menu upon others. Learn to Love the eccentricities of differing Brands, I say. Or something like that.

Finally...After preparing some Food, I sit down to watch a TV Programme...
    Which then stops for an Advertisement Break...
    Which is showing an Advert which I try to avoid...
    But upon changing Channels, *every* preferred programme is also suddenly in an Advert Break...
    ...And every Advert Break is showing the same Advert which I try to avoid...
    (... & No I cannot "Stream" !)

Thank You to those continuing support to this Thread so far!

• ...This is from Me, the OP... I have reeeealy wanted to start a "Motorbike & Car Thread", but I do not Drive, and so The Thread would just either be about TV Shows such as "Top Gear", or about Saab, or about Lamborghini Calenders ... or as partly seen so far, My complaining about the Toyota Prius... (!)

As if in apology, Here is a Pedestrian Automotive Peeve from Me... Concerning People Carriers/SUVs, with a large Family, bustling around the pavement, and taking something like Ten Minutes to go inside that thing. And I mean using both sides of the road, with chatting bustling Families, entering and exiting a house and the Car constantly, and if One tries to go around them them they will deliberately get in the way, drop things, even in the middle of the road and... My, this is a long enough Post already, eh?

• We wrap the batteries up as extra presents.

• I agree with that, even the toys that come with batteries are useless. I started keeping lots in the cupboard and putting new batteries in before wrapping up the toys, my kids don't have the patience to wait!

• I use ‘weather code’ to describe my husband’s mood to my eldest. I.e. X is very cloudy with a high chance of thunderstorms means X is in a very bad mood! X is mostly clear with no rain forecast means X is in a reasonable mood. There are many different combinations and different ways to describe people’s mood using the weather. But I know when she asks me ‘how’s the weather mum?’ What she’s actually asking is what mood is X in? We’ve had this code going for a few years now and it’s very effective as well as causing great amusement to ourselves!

• Christmas is still seven months away - plenty of time to prepare purchases and check for batteries

• Agree but the toys are the worst bug bare, you then end up with frustrated... kids

• Peter Pedantic - it's a roll lol (see earlier post Work section).

You just lit another light bulb though, go they have the knuckles to match their sheds?

• Thanks , you spend hundreds of pounds on a new TV, DVD, etc and they supply cheapo unheard of make batteries for the remote control.

• Wow on a role... love it,shed draggers