Weeny Peeves

Glad Tidings, Anyone reading. Please add your own 'Weeny Peeve', here, and VENT about it, if needs must. A Small (weeny) thing, which is irritating (peevish)... enough to be irritating, yet not so large as to breakdown One's life... I shall try examples of what I mean, thusly:

...Packets which say:"Pull here to open" --- Yet upon pulling, only the "Pull Here" part opens, and One must resort to the use of tools such as Scissors to open the rest of the darn thing.

...That floating bit of FLUFF which just *will not land* and so can constantly evade being swept up or cleaned away. (Vacuum Cleaners must be employed, here.)

...Things which state that they cost under "X" amount of money, yet only because they cost "X minus 1 plus 99-pence"... The saving of just 1 Pence is ALWAYS touted loudly as a bargain!

...TV Shows which are fictional but when beginning to discuss a real-life impasse, it is as if the writers know this and so change the subject... usually with something loud/dramatic/exploding.

...Not something I myself do, but have often seen done: When eating something "crunchy", upon the first bite, the rest of it fairly disintegrates so much that collecting the fragments is no longer worth any nutrition gained from the effort.

... Even if no-one else replies, I Myself may add to this Thread, now that I have started it, for everyday things. Good Fortune and Stay Safe, All.

Parents
  • LOL - I have loads.

Work

• Complete lack of proper proof reading - Typo's, Punctuation (guilty here with the list without semi-colons) especially when the document has been reviewed to death by other before me.

• Someone telling me it is all in my head, I have to change but I cannot do it ALL ON MY OWN.
    • Being ignored and suddenly weeks/months later someone else submits the same idea/thought/solution and it is recognised.

• Told my knowledge, skills and experience are not required by management but the rest of the business recognises the need for it.

Travel

• Driving between Wales and England and having signs in both countries saying welcome in English and Welsh.

• Crazy driving (cutting up, tailgating, lane changing, inappropriate speed)
    • All the expense to drive on the road (I can only drive one car at a time so why do I need to tax and insure each one I own that has an MOT?). Plus I drive under 12,000 a year total and pay the same as someone driving a lot more in one vehicle.

• Lack of joined up public transport outside the big cities.

Home

• All the extra cleaning needed for recycling (yet by 2025 UK will have a water shortage), what is Waxed Cardboard, why so many plastic boxes/bags (even replacing a large 160 litre usable bin with a smaller 120 litre one).

• Having to sort out all the waste whilst paying extra council tax for the privilege.
    • People who keep their bananas with the other fruit (gasses age the other fruit).

• The focus on germs and killing them off (good and bad) - did not affect those of us growing up in the 70's-90's.

• Utility companies that want your custom (to save 1p per month or promise the undeliverable to the gullible).  If you live in a rural location then you cannot get 200TB (exaggeration from me to emphasise it) download speeds for broadband because you only have copper from the exchange. 

• Needing to pay for a home phone connection just to have Broadband.

• Why must you appear to be keeping up with the Kardashians with new cars/gadgets/etc which are luxuries - I Am I'm Me (It's my life and I'll live my life as I please - Thanks DEE).

• Everything is on the internet/Fakebook or automated phone service except for those who are technical laggards and/or the option I NEED is not there (A Human being).

• Just because I'm not talking about it, holding hands or known/seen to be different then that does not mean anything - nothing to see/talk about, move along.  Then again if you are talking about me then some other person is being ignored.  I am happy as I am and know you are envious of my freedom.

• You do not need the Marriage certificate to always be happy just like having it means you do not need to always be sad - It is like any relationship/friendship you have to work at it together knowing each other's traits, faults, likes, dislikes, strengths as a team.  Something sparkled for the commitment (Forming, Storming and Performing) to occur and that should remain and grow over time (Norming but not just a treadmill).

Shopping

• Damn hardshell - Just STOP IT, you turn me off (had it yesterday when demonstrating some Windows function to a friend because at home I'm 100% other operating systems).

• Price promotions - FFS, if you can do that for multi buys then why not for single buy items?  Plus why only when on offer?

• The endless sales - FFS that is the normal price as you just inflated it before.

• Plastic bags when USA has been using paper for at least the past 20 years and easier to recycle.

• Only catering for supposedly catwalk models when everyone is ergonomically different (long/short arms/legs/body).

• Duty free perfume as soon as you pass Baggage checks that you must walk through (Asthmatics and Smell trigger Autistic/Asperger people cannot cope and there is no way to go around).

• Fruit/Veg in a skin yet coming in a single size plastic bag.

• Yes I know when my contract ends, trust my provider and know they have my interests at heart, and will upgrade if and when I want/need.

And other things that I have identified in the other posts and not yet popped up into my head.

• Automotive peeves

Mark 3 Fiesta Electric Window control - low down in front of the gear stick on the centre console - FFS, an accident waiting to happen.

early 2000's Vauhhall (and other manufacturer's) intelligent indicators - so intelligent that I cannot switch them OFF because it moves to the opposite side on cancel.

190's Calibra electric window switch (hidden by the seat base side bolsters.

Land Rover Discovery - I call then Rock 'n' Roll Disco's

People who call my caonvertible a hairdresser's car when it definitely is not as it has roots back to the 1950's.

People think they are great in their Porsche Boxster - No it is not the same as the other 911/etc series

Children/kids/babies on board stickers whilst driving at silly speeds on the road.

Towing a caravan/Trailer on the motorway at speeds well above what is legal.

Modern cars with everything buried and not a cigarette paper gap anywhere.

Plastic clips holding everything on that break so easily and can only be bought in packs of 10 when only one is required.

Plastic headlight covers that are designed to turn cloudy in UV light - bring back glass.

OBD Caution/Warning messages that are ambiguous (Battery/Alternator - well which is it and it could be other things too based on the design like for example Charging control computer, charging relay, earth lead issue, etc)

Finding some space a little further away to park the car so that you hopefully avoid anyone next to you but on return you need a tip opener to squeeze in either side.

• Automotive peeves

Mark 3 Fiesta Electric Window control - low down in front of the gear stick on the centre console - FFS, an accident waiting to happen.

early 2000's Vauhhall (and other manufacturer's) intelligent indicators - so intelligent that I cannot switch them OFF because it moves to the opposite side on cancel.

190's Calibra electric window switch (hidden by the seat base side bolsters.

Land Rover Discovery - I call then Rock 'n' Roll Disco's

People who call my caonvertible a hairdresser's car when it definitely is not as it has roots back to the 1950's.

People think they are great in their Porsche Boxster - No it is not the same as the other 911/etc series

Children/kids/babies on board stickers whilst driving at silly speeds on the road.

Towing a caravan/Trailer on the motorway at speeds well above what is legal.

Modern cars with everything buried and not a cigarette paper gap anywhere.

Plastic clips holding everything on that break so easily and can only be bought in packs of 10 when only one is required.

Plastic headlight covers that are designed to turn cloudy in UV light - bring back glass.

OBD Caution/Warning messages that are ambiguous (Battery/Alternator - well which is it and it could be other things too based on the design like for example Charging control computer, charging relay, earth lead issue, etc)

Finding some space a little further away to park the car so that you hopefully avoid anyone next to you but on return you need a tip opener to squeeze in either side.

Children
  • Why not start a cars thread?  Just 'cos you don't drive doesn't mean you don't have an opinion on them.

• Thanks Again DC:-

Full lifetime cost of something includes design and manufacture.  So why are the greens chomping at the bit about solution.  If my well maintained 20 year old car still works and is still driven around 5000 miles a year then what is wrong with that?  Yes you have designed in a 7-10 year life of it or 200,000 miles but due to low mileage then it has not yet worn out.

Electric vehicles - What is the life/replacement cost to the user as well as the environment for the huge bank of batteries?

I did the maths with my friend and worked out it would take 10 years to save of fuel to match say a £3k purchase of a newer vehicle (double that in real terms to be in the black).  So what actually is planet saving and green?

• ...This is from Me, the OP... I have reeeealy wanted to start a "Motorbike & Car Thread", but I do not Drive, and so The Thread would just either be about TV Shows such as "Top Gear", or about Saab, or about Lamborghini Calenders ... or as partly seen so far, My complaining about the Toyota Prius... (!)

As if in apology, Here is a Pedestrian Automotive Peeve from Me... Concerning People Carriers/SUVs, with a large Family, bustling around the pavement, and taking something like Ten Minutes to go inside that thing. And I mean using both sides of the road, with chatting bustling Families, entering and exiting a house and the Car constantly, and if One tries to go around them them they will deliberately get in the way, drop things, even in the middle of the road and... My, this is a long enough Post already, eh?

• Peter Pedantic - it's a roll lol (see earlier post Work section).

You just lit another light bulb though, go they have the knuckles to match their sheds?

• Wow on a role... love it,shed draggers

• It's caused by the scuttle drain blocking with dead leaves - the scuttle fills up with rainwater and overflows through the heater vent and fills the passenger footwell.  The extra humidity causes corrosion in the connectors between the 6 computer modules - which are all carefully hidden behind millions of hidden plastic clips and upholstery.  No dealer will try to diagnose them because of the £000 labour charge to possibly never find the fault.   Car = scrap.

Btw - this is also the root cause of Zafiras catching fire because the corrosion binds up the heater fan which overheats the speed control resistors hidden inside the plasic heater vent - until it catches alight.

I've had over 20 Vx cars - at least all the faults are really common so there will always be an internet fix for them..

• Yes, , load shedding which is frustrating when it has been intermittent with the specific convenience systems.  

Computer Fault code says Alternator/Battery so technician replaces the cheapest first whereas the engineer does further testing to narrow down the fault.

• OBD Caution/Warning messages that are ambiguous (Battery/Alternator - well which is it and it could be other things too based on the design like for example Charging control computer, charging relay, earth lead issue, etc)

Yeah - and the hilarious CANBus faults on Vx so if the alternator output is low, the cabin computer shuts off unnecessary systems - like the alternator low output warning light and the electric power steering.   So funny on a busy motorway at 70mph or having to get jump leads on a frosty morning.