what kind of autism research would you do?

Suppose you have the funding and technical skills to carry out autism research (e.g., questionnaires, qualitative interviews, MRI, EEG, behavioural experiments, virtual reality, etc). What kind of research question would you like to ask? What autism question do you think is still not well known, and what would be your solution to solving it, or extend current knowledge?

Parents
  • I wonder whether I personally have inherited genes or learned my behaviour from my environment ie my family and psychiatric wards. Does anybody else have similar thoughts? I feel it is a mixture of both. It would be great to read a study on nature or nurture or is it both coming together in relation to Autism? Does anyone know of such research? 

• But if your behaviour was learned, it would not be autism? You are autistic because you can't change it. Learned behaviour is deliberate, you can unlearn it and learn another behaviour, which autistic people can't.

• I am autistic, apparently, but I grew up surrounded by such behaviours/attitudes, so it was ‘normal’ for us. I wonder whether such an environment/situation in the early years (pre school) can further shape an already autistic type personality? To me it is a broad type of personality, not a defect at all. However, the behaviour I inadvertently seem to have mirrored in psychiatric settings, perhaps to ‘fit in’ I defininitely learned there! Perhaps that’s for another thread one day. 

• Thank you Lone Warrior for responding to me as somebody should have responded privately to Blue when all the very disturbing stuff was pouring out of her. We are all equal, true, whether male or female. I have already decided to take time out. My distress at what was said is not your concern. nor needs to be. Peace. () if you accept it. Thanks. 

• Thank you Lone Warrior for responding to me as somebody should have responded privately to Blue when all the very disturbing stuff was pouring out of her. We are all equal, true, whether male or female. I have already decided to take time out. My distress at what was said is not your concern. nor needs to be. Peace. () if you accept it. Thanks. 

Children
No Data