what kind of autism research would you do?

Suppose you have the funding and technical skills to carry out autism research (e.g., questionnaires, qualitative interviews, MRI, EEG, behavioural experiments, virtual reality, etc). What kind of research question would you like to ask? What autism question do you think is still not well known, and what would be your solution to solving it, or extend current knowledge?

Parents
  • I wonder whether I personally have inherited genes or learned my behaviour from my environment ie my family and psychiatric wards. Does anybody else have similar thoughts? I feel it is a mixture of both. It would be great to read a study on nature or nurture or is it both coming together in relation to Autism? Does anyone know of such research? 

• But if your behaviour was learned, it would not be autism? You are autistic because you can't change it. Learned behaviour is deliberate, you can unlearn it and learn another behaviour, which autistic people can't.

• I am autistic, apparently, but I grew up surrounded by such behaviours/attitudes, so it was ‘normal’ for us. I wonder whether such an environment/situation in the early years (pre school) can further shape an already autistic type personality? To me it is a broad type of personality, not a defect at all. However, the behaviour I inadvertently seem to have mirrored in psychiatric settings, perhaps to ‘fit in’ I defininitely learned there! Perhaps that’s for another thread one day. 

• Thank you Lone Warrior for responding to me as somebody should have responded privately to Blue when all the very disturbing stuff was pouring out of her. We are all equal, true, whether male or female. I have already decided to take time out. My distress at what was said is not your concern. nor needs to be. Peace. () if you accept it. Thanks. 

• NAS clearly do not differentiate between anyone.

You now openly admit to saying your words honestly and mirror things back, I see no such words you used being used anywhere here, you have deliberately set out to cause hurt.

That is something I cannot do, and I thing certain others are also incapable of doing.

Yes I may offend some but I am only me, I am a product of my entire upbringing, 

just because tv was full of programs full of sexist and racist so called comedy back then doesn’t mean I am like thst, therefore I know it existed and still does, 

I could still not knowingly use words to offend anyone by “ mirroring”  as you put it.

Nasty is nasty, it’s choosing to be that way deliberately to cause pain that shows your true self.

The individual has on many many occasions said they do not understand, and could someone please explain, I don’t always understand things straight away, I ask politely and would hope for a polite but understanding reply.

If I offend someone I would listen first, to what I said offended them, then in my head my thoughts ME would decide wether my ability to make a judgement based on my own knowledge was indeed intended to offend or was a wrongly chosen set of words I thought were correct to use,

Again I would never deliberately think of a way to cause hurt just because I felt upset about words said by another.

Please don’t follow the news, it often shows powerful people doing wrong, they are allowed to and it effects me to hear them so much. I don’t shout abuse st them just because I do not like what they say or do.

I ignore it and move on with MY life, 

take care and thank you for replying. Shame you keep leaving or banning yourself?

peace and live x()x

• NAS clearly do not differentiate between anyone.

You now openly admit to saying your words honestly and mirror things back, I see no such words you used being used anywhere here, you have deliberately set out to cause hurt.

That is something I cannot do, and I thing certain others are also incapable of doing.

Yes I may offend some but I am only me, I am a product of my entire upbringing, 

just because tv was full of programs full of sexist and racist so called comedy back then doesn’t mean I am like thst, therefore I know it existed and still does, 

I could still not knowingly use words to offend anyone by “ mirroring”  as you put it.

Nasty is nasty, it’s choosing to be that way deliberately to cause pain that shows your true self.

The individual has on many many occasions said they do not understand, and could someone please explain, I don’t always understand things straight away, I ask politely and would hope for a polite but understanding reply.

If I offend someone I would listen first, to what I said offended them, then in my head my thoughts ME would decide wether my ability to make a judgement based on my own knowledge was indeed intended to offend or was a wrongly chosen set of words I thought were correct to use,

Again I would never deliberately think of a way to cause hurt just because I felt upset about words said by another.

Please don’t follow the news, it often shows powerful people doing wrong, they are allowed to and it effects me to hear them so much. I don’t shout abuse st them just because I do not like what they say or do.

I ignore it and move on with MY life, 

take care and thank you for replying. Shame you keep leaving or banning yourself?

peace and live x()x

Children
  • Thank you Lone Warrior for responding to me as somebody should have responded privately to Blue when all the very disturbing stuff was pouring out of her. We are all equal, true, whether male or female. I have already decided to take time out. My distress at what was said is not your concern. nor needs to be. Peace. () if you accept it. Thanks.