Job interviews, should I mention my Asperger's?

Hi, I have a job interview next week, and I don't know whether to mention that I have Aspergers or not, would you? it's not something I like to mention but I feel I should mention it because I don't want any misunderstandings between myself and the staff,  as with my last job, which I recently got sacked from because of my  "erratic " behavior and " attitude". I never told them about my Asperger's when I started working there.

Parents
  • Hi there.

It's up to you - but I always mention it, and I think it's good policy to mention it.  There's always the fear, of course, that they might discriminate.  But some employers are actually more on the ball, and will value the qualities that often go with the condition: reliability, honesty, an eye for detail, a conscientious attitude... and, quite often, a disinterest in the usual workplace gossip!  You could always discuss how it affects you, too, to set their mind at rest in case.

If you don't mention it, you always run the risk that they may find out some way down the line and challenge you on it.  They could fire you, if they were of a mind, for not disclosing it.  The risk is higher, of course, if something happens - you have problems with some area of the work, for instance - and they want to know why.  Too late then to ask for 'reasonable adjustments'.

Good luck with the interview.  What job is it that you're going for?

• Hi Martian tom, thanks for your reply, I found it very helpful,  the job is a  community Support worker, I prefer community work because I love to support & help people, but its mostly lone working, so I don't have the contact/ deal with staff.

• I take it that's with elderly/disabled.  I've worked in special needs care for 14 years now.  I got my diagnosis 4 years ago.  I've never had a problem getting jobs in the sector and I've always mentioned my condition.  I went for one community care job and mentioned it and the woman interviewing me just shrugged and carried on!

Good luck with it.  The sector is always desperately short of good staff.

• I take it that's with elderly/disabled.  I've worked in special needs care for 14 years now.  I got my diagnosis 4 years ago.  I've never had a problem getting jobs in the sector and I've always mentioned my condition.  I went for one community care job and mentioned it and the woman interviewing me just shrugged and carried on!

Good luck with it.  The sector is always desperately short of good staff.

Children
  • They were a scruffy lot.

The buildings were not old, but cheaply built and maintenance was lacking.  The pay was 10% lower per hour than my previous job and the interview was in a large kitchen with unwashed plates and cups littering the place.

The impression I got was that they would employ anyone!  With two arms and two legs.     Except perhaps an autistic?

And the Glassdoor , former employee feedback was dire.

• That's another way of looking at it, of course.  Personally, if they didn't bother to let me know - or even seemed negative or suspicious of my autism - then I wouldn't want to work there.

• I will drop them an email.  And keep you informed.

Although my impression of them was not that good.  

They seemed a bit shabby and definitely working to tight budgets and a step down from my previous employer.

• Really?  I wonder if they'd give you any feedback if you rang up.  There could have been all sorts of reasons.  I know when I mentioned it in my interview at the autism trust, they thought it was a positive - which isn't to say that everywhere would think the same.  That's pretty poor if they've simply not bothered to get in touch with you.  They should let you know one way or the other.

• I mentioned my autistic traits at an interview over two weeks ago.  I haven't had a peep from them, either by phone, email or letter.

And their was a job working with autistic adults.