Job interviews, should I mention my Asperger's?

Hi, I have a job interview next week, and I don't know whether to mention that I have Aspergers or not, would you? it's not something I like to mention but I feel I should mention it because I don't want any misunderstandings between myself and the staff,  as with my last job, which I recently got sacked from because of my  "erratic " behavior and " attitude". I never told them about my Asperger's when I started working there.

• Some places I think it would be silly thing to do is not to disclose you Aspergers. Some business are very open and see it as an advantage if you have it, Microsoft.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/diversity/inside-microsoft/cross-disability/hiring.aspx#coreui-heading-sp7tqqo

If they have issue with Autism then it there loss and not yours.

• I completely agree with you.  I do think it is important to identify as disabled if it helps. 

I accept that my condition is regarded as a disability - and there are contexts in which I think of it as such.  If it's going to benefit me in any way to identify as disabled, then I will.  In job applications, I always answer 'Yes' to the question as to whether I have a disability - precisely because of the definition in the Equality Act.  Sorry... I should have been a bit clearer on that point.

Agree, too, that many disabilities - not just autism - are social constructs.  In an ideal world, society should adapt to accommodate us in the same way that it does for the physically disabled (hearing loops, wheelchair ramps, etc) - not expect us to 'change' to suit it.  'Masking', as we know, can do a lot of damage.

• Although I firmly believe autism is a socially constructed disability and day-to-day just see myself as a category of human e.g man/women, NT/ND the predominant NTs do see autistic people as disabled and this offers certain protection.

Like you MT, spending long hours answering the phone is something I'm unable to do as its part of my autism. As this is an expectation in many jobs this impairment has a substantial and long term effect on my ability to carry out this day to day activity. As its seen as a disability need adjustments can be made to limit the number of jobs I can't do.

I work in a student facing post and there's the expectation that people in my role will take and receive long phone calls.  Instead of closing the door on this job and saying its not for me as I've identified as disabled in this context and asked for support my employer has agreed that I do not have to receive or make telephone calls at work. I don't even have my phone plugged in.

I respect your decision to identify as you choose MT but identifying as disabled some of the time can help to make the workplace a lot more accessible 

• They were a scruffy lot.

The buildings were not old, but cheaply built and maintenance was lacking.  The pay was 10% lower per hour than my previous job and the interview was in a large kitchen with unwashed plates and cups littering the place.

The impression I got was that they would employ anyone!  With two arms and two legs.     Except perhaps an autistic?

And the Glassdoor , former employee feedback was dire.

• But that depends on what you consider to be a disability.

I don't think of my Asperger's in that way, but rather as a 'different ability.'  Of course, though, it affects us all in different ways, and to greater or lesser extents depending on what we're doing.

The Equality Act 2010 makes the following definition of a disability:

“a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on [your] ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.”

Mental impairments include autism and most autistic people are likely to fit this description.

Again, 'impairment' is a contentious word.  But supposing, for example, you were going for a job that would entail working in an office alone and pretty much self-sufficiently.  That might seem ideal for you.  But then you start the job and find you are faced with constant demands to work extra hours at short notice, or that you'd need to spend long hours answering the phone to potential customers.  Both of those things would be problems for me, so I'd want to find out before I took the job whether those things are likely to happen.  My  interviewers may then ask why I find these things a problem.  What am I to say?  I'd have to be honest.  I know it's hypothetical, but it comes up in many jobs.  I went for an admin job a short while ago which was advertised as 9 - 5, Monday to Friday - exactly what I like.  Again, I volunteered the question as to whether there would be an expectation of overtime.  Good job I did, because they said there was often the need to work late or to come in at weekends if rotas needed to be finalised.  I wouldn't have wanted to get into the role, then find that out - and quite often, I've found, employers won't volunteer that information upfront. 

• I think only disclose it if you really have to (if you think its obvious or you really need specific support)

• Is the disclosure relevant to the interview process? For example, I disclosed before the interview for my current job as I wanted to see the questions in advance of the interview as I struggle with my ability to process my answers in those kinds of environments so it was relevant. 

If you don't require any extra support before or during the interview I'd wait and tell them afterwards if you need reasonable adjustments in the job, such as the support of a mentor to help manage your behaviour. 

For people who aren't disabled disclosing in the actual interview when it isn't relevant to that moment can seem like oversharing.

• rarely tell an employer about my Asperger's purely out of fear. I'm always scared they would reject my job application and they would have little understanding on Autism in general. Weirdly enough every time I mention my Asperger's I never hear back from any jobs, but when I don't mention my Asperger's I hear back from many of them. I'm very good at pretending to be neurotypical for an interview, however I feel like my Asperger's becomes so obvious after the first few weeks of being in that job...especially as I have never had a job where I fit in with other colleagues because I am not sociable and would rather keep myself to myself.

• That's another way of looking at it, of course.  Personally, if they didn't bother to let me know - or even seemed negative or suspicious of my autism - then I wouldn't want to work there.

• Yeah, that's definitely a drawback. I've experienced it myself. I didn't even get the job interview because I put my disabilities on the application form and I got denied a job. I knew someone who applied for the same job 10 times and on the tenth time he didn't disclose it he got the job.

• I will drop them an email.  And keep you informed.

Although my impression of them was not that good.  

They seemed a bit shabby and definitely working to tight budgets and a step down from my previous employer.

• I think you still have to be careful, because they can always say that you knew about this at interview and didn't disclose it.  I actually got my diagnosis when I was in a job.  I went to my line manager and told her I'd just got it (I'd only been there a couple of months) and she said 'Why didn't you say that you'd gone for a diagnosis when we interviewed you?'  I told some story about how I'd not expected to get the diagnosis, so forgot about it.  She was okay with it - but it made me feel bad because technically I'd misled her.

Here's some info from the NAS:

Disclosing your autism diagnosis at work

It’s often hard to understand the benefits and drawbacks of disclosing at work or when applying for work.

You may be thinking about whether your employer and colleagues will understand and react to your disclosure in a positive way.

The benefits of disclosing:

• Employers are legally obliged to support you and make reasonable adjustments.
    • There may be better understanding from your colleagues and manager.
    • You won’t have to try and hide that you are autistic.

The risks of disclosing:

• You may be met with a lack of understanding and adjustments.
    • You may be worried about prejudice from your employer.
    • You may find it more difficult to fit in with your colleagues.

How to decide what to do

To help you decide, try drawing up a list of benefits and drawbacks, ask a friend, colleague or adviser to help. List your strengths and potential difficulties. Identify what adjustments could be made and discuss these with your employer, you could also let them know what you do and don’t want your colleagues to know.

...and you might find this useful:

Top 5 Tips for Disclosing your Diagnosis to Employers

• Even though it's against the law for employers to discriminate, some still do anyway. I would say wait until you get the job and then let them know, the if you are a good worker they have no reason to dismiss you. Just try and appear confident, and good luck!

• Really?  I wonder if they'd give you any feedback if you rang up.  There could have been all sorts of reasons.  I know when I mentioned it in my interview at the autism trust, they thought it was a positive - which isn't to say that everywhere would think the same.  That's pretty poor if they've simply not bothered to get in touch with you.  They should let you know one way or the other.

• I mentioned my autistic traits at an interview over two weeks ago.  I haven't had a peep from them, either by phone, email or letter.

And their was a job working with autistic adults.

• I take it that's with elderly/disabled.  I've worked in special needs care for 14 years now.  I got my diagnosis 4 years ago.  I've never had a problem getting jobs in the sector and I've always mentioned my condition.  I went for one community care job and mentioned it and the woman interviewing me just shrugged and carried on!

Good luck with it.  The sector is always desperately short of good staff.

• Hi Martian tom, thanks for your reply, I found it very helpful,  the job is a  community Support worker, I prefer community work because I love to support & help people, but its mostly lone working, so I don't have the contact/ deal with staff.

• I agree with Martian Tom, Its Probably best you mention it, however I can relate to your reticence, If you don't want to disclose maybe say what you find difficult?.e.g  being surrounded by noise, lunchtime small talk, smells lights, unexpected interruptions...

• Hi there.

It's up to you - but I always mention it, and I think it's good policy to mention it.  There's always the fear, of course, that they might discriminate.  But some employers are actually more on the ball, and will value the qualities that often go with the condition: reliability, honesty, an eye for detail, a conscientious attitude... and, quite often, a disinterest in the usual workplace gossip!  You could always discuss how it affects you, too, to set their mind at rest in case.

If you don't mention it, you always run the risk that they may find out some way down the line and challenge you on it.  They could fire you, if they were of a mind, for not disclosing it.  The risk is higher, of course, if something happens - you have problems with some area of the work, for instance - and they want to know why.  Too late then to ask for 'reasonable adjustments'.

Good luck with the interview.  What job is it that you're going for?