It all makes sense.....

Although I am not officially diagnosed Aspergers although I'm 99.9% confident I am and still awaiting my first assesment I cannot help but think my love for Mathematics and Computers and playing chess could be related possibly to being an Aspie.

I have always found Maths interesting and although never an expert on it would consider myself good at it. Last Semptember I enrolled on a Maths GCSE course at my local college it lasted about 9 months I skipped a few weeks and end of year revision classes but still managed to pass and found out only 22% of adults aged 17+ actually passed the maths GCSE this year so I was really proud when I got my results a few weeks ago. 

I also enrolled on an computer course level 1 and passed this too all with working full time and living with a wife and kids. It was hard and stressful mind as I couldn't find my much needed time out but the enjoyment of working my brain made it worth while. I don't know if any of you are the same but I love working things out or fixing things or playing games console to keep my mind ticking feels great.

Anyway I also love chess I was in chess club at school and even beat a chess player whilst on holiday who kept bragging he was the "chess master". I find it hard playing chess on a games console for some reason and alot easier on the actual board game maybe because I'm up close and get a better view.

Anyway my point of this short story is I'm thinking maybe why I excel at things I enjoy could be related to being an Aspie and it would make sense.

Do any others on here enjoy Mathematics, Computers and Chess?

Parents Reply Children
  • I find the sharing of stories here fascinating

Yes, likewise; it's very bizarre sometimes to discover these commonalities through the forums. Especially the similarities in childhood experiences; our innate talents, traits and favoured learning styles may be very different, but so often still directed at that curiosity about how things work, whether technology or people.

I did a huge grin reading about your ersatz tools and shocking experiences ('scuse the terrible pun!) I used to do exactly the same; I remember that whole-body hit-your-funny-bone feeling very well! In my own way, I have the toolmaker calling. A great deal of the code that I've written over the years has been library code of one form or another, not intended for a particular end use, but components for solving generic problems, debugging tools, test frameworks etc. The closer I am to the nuts and bolts, the happier I am, usually.

I do remember when using the 286 based machines there would be many 5 1/4 disks

Ha ha. Still better than trying to get a ZX Spectrum to load from a cassette that was a fourth-generation tape-to-tape copy you got off some fellow geek in the playground!

I find people's impatience with computers very amusing sometimes (including that of other programmers, and of course, myself.) I still haven't lost that obsession with trying to save every tiny little bit of memory that I can, and spending hours optimising everything to death, that I developed working on those early machines. I like to muck around on some of the emulators for vintage machines every once in a while just to remind myself how lucky I am!

Musical applications, it had an overlay to turn the standard key board into a musical key set

When it comes to music making, the change has been phenomenal. I started out tape-bouncing between two domestic hi-fi tape decks, then the classic 4-track cassette porta-studios, then 8-track reel-to-reel with analogue mixing and outboard, then digital 8-track. I got into using the PC when the VST standards first came out; my Pentium 200mmx could just about manage a couple of tracks of audio and one or two effects processors, so I still had all the "fun" of syncing up the multitrack recorder to the PC. My studio is now pretty much just an off-the-shelf laptop, a few nice microphones and pre-amps, and my instruments - I can literally carry everything I need in a rucsac. There are aspects of the analogue ways that I miss, but I would have killed to have the resources I have now back when I was still regularly playing in bands.