Fast forward/rewinding Tv and dvds

Hi I’m a parent to a 6 year old boy with autism. 

He has started wanting to watch the tv or dvds he has on rewind of fast forward. He loves it, he’s bouncing! Arms are going and the joy is clear but when it stops or you turn it off, hell breaks out! 

Does anyone elses chidlren do this? Is it causing him any harm to watch it like this?  

• my son is 2 years old non verbal but constantly passing me the control I use to think it was because he didn't want that film on but it's so he can watch the film on fast forward and if I don't he screams at me 

• My son used to do this also. He will still adjust the speed when playing a downloaded movie, speeding it up. 

He will get angry too if we tried to stop these processes.

I would say its part and parcel with autism, repetitive behaviours and the difficulty with transitioning or moving on from something. He's just not able to switch focus so easily, the brain is perseverating and stuck on what was happening. 

This skill will improve over time, they're still so young.

• Because it's stopped.  Try to think of it as something like a favourite TV programme coming to an end - but more so.  The stimulus has gone.  Have you had any input from Behavioural Therapists?  Adjustments will usually take a long time.  It isn't like simply missing something.  There may be alternatives that can be gradually introduced to lessen the impact of the stopping.

On a related track, I - as a high-functioning autistic person - struggle with change.  I especially struggle with spontaneous change.  I need signposting.  I need at least a day's notice about having to work an extra hour.  If you tell me on the day, I'll refuse.  I need time to consider the change and make necessary adjustments to my routines.  If you land it on me on the day, I'll most likely panic.

• He’s not rewatching, he loves watching it speeded up, so no sound, no story really at all to it :) 

The only thing that concerns me is how upset he gets when he can’t watch it like this, it’s he end of the world 

• He doesn’t rewind to rewatch the same thing, he loves watching it while it’s rewinding or fast forwarding. 

So no sound, just watching it speeded up :) 

Just worries that he gets so upset when it stops.

thank you 

• It's extremely common behaviour.  I work with autistic people and several of them are repeatedly rewinding or fast-forwarding to places in videos, or music tracks, that they like.  One of our lads is pretty high-functioning, but when he gets anxious he listens to the theme tune from a particular Disney film on a repeating loop to bring his anxiety down again.  Sometimes, he plays it for several hours to maintain his calm mood.

I know that when I was younger, I used to drive people crazy by continuously repeating parts of songs that I liked - like a guitar solo.  I'd just stop it and play it over and over, thinking it was perfectly alright to do that.

It isn't harmful.  It's quite a calming thing.  Repetitive behaviours can manifest in many ways.

• We used to record and rewind mix tapes / video tapes all the time did we not ;)

"We used to". I still do! 

• I used to do it but with my parents vinyl collection. I caused quite a bit of damage to turntable belts and records. I was constantly in trouble! I think it was the way that sound could be manipulated that drew me in. The down point was when I was handed the collection there were quite a few scratches! At least no damage can be done!

I think that there's no harm in it, it sounds like he might be getting some form of stim from it. I'd just keep in controlled so it doesn't become the norm. You don't want to be watching everything backwards!

• My 6 year old son constantly rewinds and rewatches the same things over and over!

sometimes he's learning off the script...

sometimes he's trying to understand what's happening...

sometimes he's getting a kick out of some music or visual...

I don't see the harm. We used to record and rewind mix tapes / video tapes all the time did we not ;)

• Less likely to pick up on any bad language during rewind...

• I expect it's filling a sensory need of some description. I used to find a strange joy in gazing deeply into the washing machine when it was going at full tilt, haha!
    It shouldn't be any more harmful than watching at regular speed. :)