Brain in Hand - any experience of it here?

Do any people here have experience of Brain in Hand?

My wife is suggesting it to me (she's ever on the lookout for help for me)

I would love to know of any experiences of it.

Thanks, Mark

• Im glad to hear that it is useful. I got mine via access to work but my employer so far in over 8 months has failed to provide it for me.

I look forward to using it if and when I get it!

• My posts were being marked as spam at the time and required moderating, so it's likely it wasn't here when you replied. But please don't worry, no apology required. 

I love your profile picture by the way!

• Wow, Fibonacci Squid! That is really useful information. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this.

• I have brain in hand through DSA (disabled student allowance) and I love it.  It is very specifically designed for autism and in my experience does it very well.

I've given a good review on it before so I'll paste that below and then add anything else I've thought about since then:

I use brain in hand!!!!!! I love it!

I love it personally, for a variety of reasons, let me list them below, and share my experiences where I have used them practically:

Part of brain in hand is organisation, so you make a calendar ( you can connect an existing google calendar, outlook calendar etc, or just use the software on the website) and the individual events get tasks and problems put under them. And you can put in problems connected to a task.

So for example, for a teams call I have various problems like 'internet out', 'unable to join call', forget call'. And then within those problems I put solutions. So under 'forget about call' is 'send apology email', 'ask to reschedule', 'ask for recording'. And then what that mainly means is A. I get reminders about tasks, and B. when something goes wrong, I don't have to panic about what to do, because it's already there. 

So, when have I used this feature. Well, missing meetings for a start. Also a big one was train journeys. I find train journeys immensely difficult. They're sensorily overwhelming and then they go wrong. In this particular case one of my trains had been cancelled. I was already on the verge of a shutdown. It was very bad. But in my brain in hand app the pre made travel section has a solution which has the link to the national network website, where I could instantly find another train. It saved a meltdown, end of story. Because I didn't have to think.

And then there are those moments where the preprepared stuff doesn't work out, and you have to ask for help. I've used that twice I think. Once was about a phone call where I just couldn't, and they walked me through other options so I didn't have to do it right then and could wait until I had someone around to help me in person. The other was a moment where everything had gone wrong, and they helped me break it down until I could find a solution.

You also get someone that walks you through using it to its upmost and also helps you make goals and stuff and plans to work towards them that you have appointments with a few times a year. 

Cool. That covers a lot. 

Things I've used it for since: 

Airplane, with lots of contingencies including a link to a document explaining I was having a shutdown to a member of staff. 

Organising packing lists for some activities

They've improved the notification system, so I can now do several notifications. E.g. one for getting brain ready, one for getting up and putting things in bag etc and one for leaving, for a specific appointment.

I'm sure there are others too

It is expensive privately, I guess that is partly paying for the 24/7 support if you need it. But it's really helped my independence in managing difficult situations. I'm not sure what I will do when I eventually come off of DSA. Some organisations occupational health will also pay for it. And some councils if you are under social care will contribute. So there are other funding sources available.

Feel free to ask questions about brain in hand, I use it every day and find it often makes a real difference 

• I like that image of the Ood Slight smile

• Haha the first thought that went through my mind too! Grin

• Apologies by the way to Stranger - for some reason I didn't see your reply when I posted my mine, but I certainly wasn't using 'more informed...' to refer contrastively to anyone but myself. 

• I must admit I'd never heard of this, in fact the first thing that phrase conjured in my head was the Ood from Doctor Who. (I guess we are in some ways all the ood now, I'm sure our phones will be grafted on before too long!) 

More seriously, thanks for flagging the term as I've now - via Googling - learned something. 

And hopefully someone more informed/helpful to you will be along in a while... and in the meantime my  post can serve as a little 'bump' for your thread, so if nothing else I've done that... :-)

• That's OK - you're not a twit!

• Oh, sorry, slight miscommunication there. I saw Brain in Hand and completely misunderstood and jumped the gun. I should have clarified first. What a twit! I hope some other members can help you with this.

I just checked it out, yours does sound good and more appropriate help than attacking the brain with electric currents!
    If you try it I hope it helps you gain that better quality of life. 

• Thanks for the information.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing? This more of an (expensive) app with real coaching and stuff.

https://www.braininhand.co.uk/about/

• Hello. I'm new here but thought I would chip in as this is something I'm interested in doing for myself as I suffer badly with anxiety. 

I've done a bit of research on Brain in Hand, it's a new treatment for anxiety and depression that has been shown to be effective in clinical trials. The treatment involves using a device that delivers electrical impulses to the brain. The impulses are thought to help regulate the activity of the brain's neural circuits, which can lead to a reduction in symptoms. There is some evidence to suggest that Brain in Hand may be effective in treating anxiety and depression.

A study published in the journal JAMA Psychiatry found that Brain in Hand was more effective than a placebo in reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression in people with generalized anxiety disorder. Another study, published in the journal The Lancet, found that Brain in Hand was effective in reducing symptoms of depression in people with treatment-resistant depression.

However, it's important to note that Brain in Hand is still a new treatment, and more research is needed to confirm its effectiveness. Additionally, Brain in Hand is not without its risks. The most common side effects of Brain in Hand include headache, nausea, and skin irritation. The potential side effects put me off.

If you are considering Brain in Hand, it's important to talk to your doctor first to discuss the risks and benefits of the treatment.