Can anyone identify with this?

1) Poor organising and planning ability

2)Difficulty prioritising steps taken in multi step tasks

3) Ability to focus can go from very good to not at all good

• I'm thinking of trying an app, I was looking at using Google keep, I believe it can have items in a list linked to reminders which might help.

Big issue I find is that I sometimes just dismiss reminders and procrastinate. I think it's my PDA, I see them as demand even though it's from myself and push them away.

• Lists and diary planners can help me with the first 2. I have also found organising apps on my phone is an absolute godsend! Blush 

3, is a big problem for me too! I have ADHD which I think adds to this. Sometimes I can focus on multiple things at once and other times I can hardly focus at all! I find my focusing is better when I'm calm and worse when I feel anxious. 

• Yes. It opens up a can of worms, for my head. I feel throughother most days. Constantly cleaning up, and my place is still a tip.

• I can do them if in obsess and establish all the details - and - hope against hope nothing changes.

• I can relate a lot to that!

Problem I have when I try using  lists ,  I literally neglect/forget about the list or notes after a day or so,  every time I try.

Really can be groundhog day for me sometimes, like I get reset at night and wake up with all the issues I'd fixed the day before!

• All autistics will have difficulty with these. They fall under 2 categories: Executive Function (sequencing) and Chronology. 

We, along with our ADHD and even Dyslexic friends tend to tap into the Eternal/Momentary time stream. It's how the Right brain perceives time and is useful for hyper-focus. The Left is responsible for chronological events and for executive function.

Ability to focus can be from many things. But when I'm overwhelmed by too many things to do and cannot seem to stay on task and organise in a way I'd like to, it's entirely distracting and an absolute interruption. The only way out is through. For admin tasks I simply keep a log and commit to one small thing a day until I get through it all. 

• Oh yes - it was a real bugbear for me at the start of my carrer until I developed the discipline to use the tips Ameratin suggests.

Checklists, to-do lists, reminders, project trackers and daily reports were all essential to allowing me to just get on with it.

Rather than worrying about what to do next, my lists allowed me to identify what the options were, scorings for importance and urgency let me chose what was next then the discipline made me just do the next thing.

Last thing every day is to update all your lists etc then write your report.

As you start to see stuff checked off, targets completed and the project timelines move on then it give a sense of accomplishment that helps motivate you.

It also helps keep management off your back as you are always busy, can produce status reports quickly and can justify what you have been working on - real lifesavers when you have someone who micromanages you

• Yes, very much so. I have learned to compensate for issues 1 and 2 using lists, spreadsheets and reminders.

Issue 3 is still a massive problem for me. At work I am completely unproductive for 30+ hours per week then heroically focussed for a few hours. This seems to be enough to keep my employers happy but it is very stressful.