Feeling lost

Just recently been diagnosed late with Autism. All my life has felt been on a rollercoaster with depression. The downs are not getting any better and since the last year I have felt like giving up as the mood swings are just getting out of control and effecting relationships within the family. I have a job but hate it so much but being the main earner I can’t give it up the family depend on my wage. I have no clue what else I can do so feel stuck.  I feel sick with dread every day dealing with meetings etc. When I’m working on day to day stuff I seem to feel ok because it routine and processed driven and familiar. But when it’s development training or meetings I struggle with the social side. At home I’m struggling being a parent and partner because of being up and down. Easily irritable and find I get more and more frustrated/angry and snapping too much. Everything just feels so hard these days. Even seeing a psychiatrists which help for short time but i feel so trapped and stuck I just don’t see an end or a future. Sorry if not making sense. My partner has tried so hard but I keep pushing people away but I don’t know why I do this. When I’m on a up things are fine but they don’t last and it’s just getting so hard to carry on living. I don’t know why I’m horrible and pushing away. I feel so lost. 

Parents
  • Hi 

Being honest I battle with myself in a very similar situation every day. I am married with 2 boys and one of which is autistic. I guess I do come across to my wife as short and emotionless but I don’t mean to appear that way. I am hyper empathetic as well which make it worse as I can literally feel tension, sadness and happiness but it presents itself in the same way to me (teary and sad) it also makes me feel so guilty. Do you always recognise that you are snappy at the time you’re doing it or is it when your family bring it up and tell you? I only ask because we can be taken as being rude or short with people when actually we are ok? 
    It does seem you have a lot of pressure on yourself and I can relate to that in exactly the same way. I feel like there is no way out sometimes but you must tell yourself that change doesn’t have to happen instantly. Set yourself small goals and work towards that ideal. I have recently started doing meditation which has helped me regulate myself and just feel a little more comfortable. 
    Is your partner supportive with you being divergent? Could you both set some rules about things that may trigger you or perhaps you have half an hour quiet time to yourself after your working day? 
    I have an awful long way to go in my journey and have often thought to myself that I would be better on my own but I really don’t think that is the way to go. We need to keep trying to be part of this world, even if we don’t fit into it particularly well. 

I do wish you good luck in the future and please stay positive 

• Thank you both for your kindness. It means a lot to hear back from someone. Still struggling but trying to take a step at a time. 

• Your so welcome.

I had a giggle to myself earlier, I always without realising pick out flaws in what my wife is saying as well as correct her. Is this an autistic thing?? She said I always have a negative response but I think I’m just being factual and observant. This is something new I’ve learned about myself today. I just cannot stop my mouth blurting it out. 
    Hope you’re getting on a little better today?

• Mine are 9 and 13

Let me know how that goes as my 9 year old who is AS doesn’t know yet. His brother doesn’t know either. This will be a tough chat to have. 

The fact that you’re worried about things says that you’re a good person and you’ll figure it out. I have to remind myself from time to time that I’m very lucky to have a family. 

Hope you have a better week

• Yes i am feeling sad and ashamed. Do feel that I come round quicker talking it through with my partner. Will give meditation a go. Thankyou for kind reply.  Do you mind me asking how old your children are? Mine are 9/10 and wondering how to talk to them about it. I’m worried about the impact on them.

• Honestly your partner sounds great and that’s just what you need… a little reminder when when you do lose it. 
    I don’t always see it either but on reflection it makes me feel sad. 
    Im very lucky that I work for myself so I’m pretty much on my own all day which is good for me. That makes time at home with my partner and children easier I guess but I get very agitated when there’s a lot of different sounds going off at the same time, I usually sneak off into the garage for some quiet time. 

Someone on here gave me some advice about doing meditation, I’ve been doing it for around 3 weeks now and I love it. I discovered a few days ago that when I wake up and do it it has a better effect for me. I am at my most anxious first thing in the morning.

good luck A and be sure to let us know how your getting on 

• Honestly your partner sounds great and that’s just what you need… a little reminder when when you do lose it. 
    I don’t always see it either but on reflection it makes me feel sad. 
    Im very lucky that I work for myself so I’m pretty much on my own all day which is good for me. That makes time at home with my partner and children easier I guess but I get very agitated when there’s a lot of different sounds going off at the same time, I usually sneak off into the garage for some quiet time. 

Someone on here gave me some advice about doing meditation, I’ve been doing it for around 3 weeks now and I love it. I discovered a few days ago that when I wake up and do it it has a better effect for me. I am at my most anxious first thing in the morning.

good luck A and be sure to let us know how your getting on 

Children
  • Mine are 9 and 13

Let me know how that goes as my 9 year old who is AS doesn’t know yet. His brother doesn’t know either. This will be a tough chat to have. 

The fact that you’re worried about things says that you’re a good person and you’ll figure it out. I have to remind myself from time to time that I’m very lucky to have a family. 

Hope you have a better week

• Yes i am feeling sad and ashamed. Do feel that I come round quicker talking it through with my partner. Will give meditation a go. Thankyou for kind reply.  Do you mind me asking how old your children are? Mine are 9/10 and wondering how to talk to them about it. I’m worried about the impact on them.