Are there any antidepressants that don't make you feel like ***? (sensitivity to side effects)

Please fucking help. I've been on Citalopram 10mg and that made me really sick and even more suicidal. I've been prescribed Fluoxetine recently which has scary side effects still, but is it more likely to make me worse because of its sensitivity? The sexual side effects are scariest, then nausea and vomiting is second. 

Parents
  • In my experience, pharma meds don't cut the mustard and have weird and horrible side effects. Especially (on me fluoexidine (prozac) and certraline. I really don't like them.

I did however try an "E" back in the late nineties and found one decent rave gave about a week off from being miserable. I've done it about three times, in total over the last thirty years, as I see it as an emergency measure.  

HOWEVER for me an "e" changes me fundamentally, in ways that I don't like, as well as blowing away the blues, so my own personal drug compromise is to dull the pain with Cannabis (especially as cannabis is also an excellent antagonist to the ADD impulse control issue). whilst looking for a more "drug free" solution. 

Mine is not an approved or even legal management strategy, but it seems to work well enough to keep me out of the clutches of  doctors and policemen.

• That's what you have to offer?

Violation of community rule number 12 "promoting illegal activity or putting a person at risk" 

• I stand corrected and will re-write it.

• I'd risk a government prison than my current mind prison. 

• Well said I Sperg - I totally agree. Sometimes we are harmed by what’s offered to us by the nhs and we have little choice but to look for alternatives. It’s not that we WANT to, often we simply have to. 

• Hi I Sperg - I’m really sorry this person above (Ottilie) was so judgemental and harsh towards you, you don’t deserve that and I’m sorry. This community is a place where people can be open about what has worked (and not worked) for them and it’s done in a supportive way - as you were doing here. I hope this person hasn’t made you feel bad. 

• I've already considered drugs as a solution, it's one thing I've not tried, to be fair it might be worth a try, just not sure how to get it really. 

Severe issues require severe solutions. 

• Mainstream psychiatry (when it's been allowed to do the work) has reported good results with MDMA at treating precisely this sort of thing. 

I read the guys post, it reminded me of my own experience, and there was the same sort of desperation I have felt in the past. I felt a genuine need to offer from my own experience of what worked well for me.

I found my illegal drug supplier far more knowledgeable about the effects and correct dosage of his product than my doctor was about the drugs he offered me.

The qualified professional denied point blank the very real side effects I was experiencing, whereas my illegal but quite "ethical" drug dealer actually closely observes the effects of his or her products first hand and knows what they do to you often from personal experience. 

Sometimes you just need a holiday for a few hours from the misery, and even an artificially changed MDMA perspective is better than not getting it at all.

I did choose to make the post, and I stand by that choice, and have not altered it materially except to reword it, so it is less of a recommendation, and more of a testimony of what worked for me back in the 1990's when I was having a crisis such as the original poster describes.. 

Although I don't care much for your bombastic attititude, I suspect we both want the same for Jakey.

A recovery, or at the very least some respite, to give him a chance of being the architect of his own recovery. 

Look.

If the present system and attitudes towards mental health and other issues worked at all well, this forum would be a far happier and better adjusted place than it is. It's full of people complaining about MH services, and the quality of their lives.

It's clear that alternatives need to be explored by those so inclined, and having done the exploring, it's kinda the whole point to share the information thus acquired. 

• Suggesting to someone in a mental health crisis that ecstacy could be a solution is a clear violation of the community rules and dysfunctional. You can play the victim. I'm not violating anything. You chose to make that post. I was there with Jakey earlier supporting him. I've seen you taking this victim role over and over and I'm not interested. Take it up with the mods if you have an issue. 

• Suggesting to someone in a mental health crisis that ecstacy could be a solution is a clear violation of the community rules and dysfunctional. You can play the victim. I'm not violating anything. You chose to make that post. I was there with Jakey earlier supporting him. I've seen you taking this victim role over and over and I'm not interested. Take it up with the mods if you have an issue. 

Children
  • I'd risk a government prison than my current mind prison. 

• Well said I Sperg - I totally agree. Sometimes we are harmed by what’s offered to us by the nhs and we have little choice but to look for alternatives. It’s not that we WANT to, often we simply have to. 

• I've already considered drugs as a solution, it's one thing I've not tried, to be fair it might be worth a try, just not sure how to get it really. 

Severe issues require severe solutions. 

• Mainstream psychiatry (when it's been allowed to do the work) has reported good results with MDMA at treating precisely this sort of thing. 

I read the guys post, it reminded me of my own experience, and there was the same sort of desperation I have felt in the past. I felt a genuine need to offer from my own experience of what worked well for me.

I found my illegal drug supplier far more knowledgeable about the effects and correct dosage of his product than my doctor was about the drugs he offered me.

The qualified professional denied point blank the very real side effects I was experiencing, whereas my illegal but quite "ethical" drug dealer actually closely observes the effects of his or her products first hand and knows what they do to you often from personal experience. 

Sometimes you just need a holiday for a few hours from the misery, and even an artificially changed MDMA perspective is better than not getting it at all.

I did choose to make the post, and I stand by that choice, and have not altered it materially except to reword it, so it is less of a recommendation, and more of a testimony of what worked for me back in the 1990's when I was having a crisis such as the original poster describes.. 

Although I don't care much for your bombastic attititude, I suspect we both want the same for Jakey.

A recovery, or at the very least some respite, to give him a chance of being the architect of his own recovery. 

Look.

If the present system and attitudes towards mental health and other issues worked at all well, this forum would be a far happier and better adjusted place than it is. It's full of people complaining about MH services, and the quality of their lives.

It's clear that alternatives need to be explored by those so inclined, and having done the exploring, it's kinda the whole point to share the information thus acquired.