Are there any antidepressants that don't make you feel like ***? (sensitivity to side effects)

Please fucking help. I've been on Citalopram 10mg and that made me really sick and even more suicidal. I've been prescribed Fluoxetine recently which has scary side effects still, but is it more likely to make me worse because of its sensitivity? The sexual side effects are scariest, then nausea and vomiting is second. 

Parents
  • In my experience, pharma meds don't cut the mustard and have weird and horrible side effects. Especially (on me fluoexidine (prozac) and certraline. I really don't like them.

I did however try an "E" back in the late nineties and found one decent rave gave about a week off from being miserable. I've done it about three times, in total over the last thirty years, as I see it as an emergency measure.  

HOWEVER for me an "e" changes me fundamentally, in ways that I don't like, as well as blowing away the blues, so my own personal drug compromise is to dull the pain with Cannabis (especially as cannabis is also an excellent antagonist to the ADD impulse control issue). whilst looking for a more "drug free" solution. 

Mine is not an approved or even legal management strategy, but it seems to work well enough to keep me out of the clutches of  doctors and policemen.

• In my experience, pharma meds don't cut the mustard and have weird and horrible side effects. Especially (on me fluoexidine (prozac) and certraline. I really don't like them.

I did however try an "E" back in the late nineties and found one decent rave gave about a week off from being miserable. I've done it about three times, in total over the last thirty years, as I see it as an emergency measure.  

HOWEVER for me an "e" changes me fundamentally, in ways that I don't like, as well as blowing away the blues, so my own personal drug compromise is to dull the pain with Cannabis (especially as cannabis is also an excellent antagonist to the ADD impulse control issue). whilst looking for a more "drug free" solution. 

Mine is not an approved or even legal management strategy, but it seems to work well enough to keep me out of the clutches of  doctors and policemen.

Children
  • Hi,

This is a reminder of our rule This breaks our rule 12 ‘Posts which are deemed by the moderation team to be promoting illegal activity or putting a person at risk will be deleted without warning.’

Please take the time to read our rules in full here https://community.autism.org.uk/p/rules 

Failure to follow online community may result in your account being moderated or deleted.

Kind regards,

Clare Mod

• Interesting. The author of Uncomfortable Labels (a book about being autistic) says the same thing about E, that it turns off the sensory stuff related to autism for a while, although she doesn't recommend regular use either.

I personally find that SSRIs even at half the lowest dose give me symptoms similar to serotonin syndrome. I recently started taking a medication that blocks the effects of serotonin (kind of the opposite to an SSRI) to treat IBS and am feeling good on that. The only side effect is that I'm sleeping longer and deeper at night, waking after 8-10 hours instead of 6-8. My mood is better and calmer than usual, so I'm very skeptical about the idea that more serotonin is what autistic depressed people need.

• Many people have different reactions to psychoactive medication. Sometimes it needs trial and error to find something that works and then titrate the dose. Stimulants usually have fairly short half lives - something like Ritalin peaks in an hour or so and most of it has been metabolised and excreted in less than a day.  Other drugs take time to take efect because they have to build up to a therapeutic level in the bloodstream: they can take several days to have a maximum effect, and then from a few days up to two weeks to leave the system. Statistically, many people self-harm when stopping or changing medication, so it is always a good idea to get proper clinical advice.

Self-medication with street drugs is not a good idea. You do not know what you are getting or how strong they are ... they are not quality controlled like pharmaceuticals. Drugs like cannabis can contain dozens of active incredients in different proportions. Most have not been properly researched in clinical trials like regular pharmaceuticals.

If you want to take chances with your own health, and risk problems with the law into the bargain, then you must take responsibility for your own actions.  But please, do not encourage other people to do so.

• That's what you have to offer?

Violation of community rule number 12 "promoting illegal activity or putting a person at risk"