Guilt and work

Put bluntly im struggling to cope. I am told its ok not to work but cant get past the guilt. People say its ok and to chill but i feel like ive wasted my life. My family say they love me and to be happy but i cant seem to accept not having lives the obligations of adulthood. Anyone here not work but is supported or partner to someone with asd who doesnt...how is it

Parents
  • I always have worked, but I understand the need to be useful to feel you count. Kind of why I picked the careers I did.

There is no need for guilt. We live in a society that materially rewards only some skill sets a d often misses that which is truely valuable. 

Your life is not wasted. We can all have some positive impact somewhere. Why not think less in terms of work, but it terms of your potential contribution and do what you can. A hobby could turn into a way to help in a small way. For instance, gardening to help a neighbour or knitting to make premature baby clothes for a local maternity unit. Think through what you enjoy, think how it could help you or someone else and let society worry about the rest. Not everyone was built to fit our cut throat economy, but some talents, whilst not marketable, are worth more than gold.

• I always have worked, but I understand the need to be useful to feel you count. Kind of why I picked the careers I did.

There is no need for guilt. We live in a society that materially rewards only some skill sets a d often misses that which is truely valuable. 

Your life is not wasted. We can all have some positive impact somewhere. Why not think less in terms of work, but it terms of your potential contribution and do what you can. A hobby could turn into a way to help in a small way. For instance, gardening to help a neighbour or knitting to make premature baby clothes for a local maternity unit. Think through what you enjoy, think how it could help you or someone else and let society worry about the rest. Not everyone was built to fit our cut throat economy, but some talents, whilst not marketable, are worth more than gold.

Children