First timer.

I am a 34 year old male with Asperger's syndrome. I've been "officially" diagnosed since I was 19 years old. The "professionals" now think I may have borderline personality disorder. Other than my parents, I have very little to no social interaction. General "life" frightens me. I don't seem to fit in. Anyone else feel the same??

Parents
  • Dexter said:

A support group is a really good idea. It is a good idea to use this forum as a start. I'm not sure myself how to set up a face to face support group , as it would probably need to be done in a "professional way",

The 12-step type of recovery groups are non-professional and have no fees except voluntary contributions to cover costs, like renting the space for meetings and buying coffee, but internet groups don't have these costs.  (There are private recovery centers that use the 12-steps and charge a lot for it, but that's not a pure 12-step group).

So, this would need some thought.  I don't think the 12-steps fit Aspergers, not without serious modification, because its not any sort of addiction to any substance or any process that we're trying to recover from.  It's a condition that, in order to deal with other people in the world who do not have this condition, needs some help.

I think a basic format would include a definition of what it is we are struggling with and a brief list of our common symptoms, hopes for what we are looking to gain through our group support, and some practical tools that we have found to be helpful.  And we would need some encouraging literature to use as a guide, to provide us with hope from others who have struggled in the same way, and as a springboard for our own personal shares.

I really appreciate this discussion. Just to let you know, I don't expect to be at the computer much for about a week.  So, I'll check in after that.

• Dexter said:

A support group is a really good idea. It is a good idea to use this forum as a start. I'm not sure myself how to set up a face to face support group , as it would probably need to be done in a "professional way",

The 12-step type of recovery groups are non-professional and have no fees except voluntary contributions to cover costs, like renting the space for meetings and buying coffee, but internet groups don't have these costs.  (There are private recovery centers that use the 12-steps and charge a lot for it, but that's not a pure 12-step group).

So, this would need some thought.  I don't think the 12-steps fit Aspergers, not without serious modification, because its not any sort of addiction to any substance or any process that we're trying to recover from.  It's a condition that, in order to deal with other people in the world who do not have this condition, needs some help.

I think a basic format would include a definition of what it is we are struggling with and a brief list of our common symptoms, hopes for what we are looking to gain through our group support, and some practical tools that we have found to be helpful.  And we would need some encouraging literature to use as a guide, to provide us with hope from others who have struggled in the same way, and as a springboard for our own personal shares.

I really appreciate this discussion. Just to let you know, I don't expect to be at the computer much for about a week.  So, I'll check in after that.

Children
No Data