Diagnosed at 33!

Hi everyone!

My name is Matt and I am 33 years old and have just recieved my diagnosis last Tuesday and finally everything makes sense.

I live in the North West Coast of the UK near Preston. :)

I am married and have a 3 year old son who is currently going through the diagnostic process.

Nice to meet you all on here :)

Matt

•  everything just makes sense now!

[/quote]

That's it...

People often ask 'what is the point of getting a diagnosis'?

That is the point... to make sense of everything. And there is often quite a lot to make sense of.

Well done for taking the plunge.

• Stonechat said:

Hello m6ceb

Am also an Aspie... diagnosed in my 50's.

I remember the relief I felt after diagnosis. Great, isn't it???

Welcome!

Yes it is! Its taken a week to just get my head around it but everything just makes sense now!

• Hello m6ceb

Am also an Aspie... diagnosed in my 50's.

I remember the relief I felt after diagnosis. Great, isn't it???

Welcome!

• Normalish said:

Woop woop for a fellow Northerner (though I'm on the better side of the country, in Newcastle ) 

Hi Matt - great introduction! I'm also pretty new, and on my reflection now, my introduction the other week was far more erratic!

Glad to hear you feel that sense of relief and understanding as well - it's such a weird weight that lift when so many things make sense! I was assessed and diagnosed in August, so it's still pretty new to me too.

Interesting to hear your son is going through the process, too, though... Is that as a precaution, or are there signs and indicators that now make sense following your own diagnosis? Either way, it's a great thing to do and, I'd suggest, makes you a very responsible parent

Have fun around here matey - get stuck in and yeah, never hesitate to speak out or ask advice 

Thanks very much for saying that :)

It was actually my wife that noticed things in our son first! Then the more she read she realised i fitted the symptoms too! I then read about it and everything fitted into place overnight! I then had to apply for funding for an assesment and 6 months later I got my diagnosis! Finley (my son) is going through the "getting to know you sessions" to get his if they come to that conclusion.

Fingers crossed it all goes ok :)

• Woop woop for a fellow Northerner (though I'm on the better side of the country, in Newcastle :P) 

Hi Matt - great introduction! I'm also pretty new, and on my reflection now, my introduction the other week was far more erratic!

Glad to hear you feel that sense of relief and understanding as well - it's such a weird weight that lift when so many things make sense! I was assessed and diagnosed in August, so it's still pretty new to me too.

Interesting to hear your son is going through the process, too, though... Is that as a precaution, or are there signs and indicators that now make sense following your own diagnosis? Either way, it's a great thing to do and, I'd suggest, makes you a very responsible parent :)

Have fun around here matey - get stuck in and yeah, never hesitate to speak out or ask advice :D 

• electra said:

Welcome to the tribe Matt!

I'm glad to hear that the diagnosis has helped you feel more yourself.

Adjusting to a new identity can be very up and down and do feel free to ask for support during the downs and tell us about the ups too!

Thanks very much! Its been a hell of a week. Takes some getting used too!

Im just glad I know really. Been trying to find what it is y whole life and quite shocked it got missed for 30 years! 

Thanks for taking the time to comment both of you and you will hopefully see me quite a bit on here :)

Matt

• Welcome to the tribe Matt!

I'm glad to hear that the diagnosis has helped you feel more yourself.

Adjusting to a new identity can be very up and down and do feel free to ask for support during the downs and tell us about the ups too!

• Zitami said:

Congratulations Matt.  I am new here too; it sounds as though we are in a similar situation.  I hope you find the forum useful.

Thanks very much and nice to meet you too! Im still un shock a little as i really didnt think i would get it as ive never had a formal diagnosis in my life but always knew i was very differant! I now feel like i have been given a new life and that my "odd" behaviours have a reason and makes me feel at peace with myself :)

• Congratulations Matt.  I am new here too; it sounds as though we are in a similar situation.  I hope you find the forum useful.