Hi there from an adult

I was diagnosed with high functioning autism a couple of months ago, although my parents knew that delayed speach and my way of doing things were different :)  Since I was 15 I've been told I had schizophrenia, so I'm really pleased about the change in diagnosis, and this time I understand it.

I'm now 52, and have had many jobs, but have been unable to keep them.  I just don't fit in.  I trained as a teacher and I enjoy teaching kids with autism - now I wonder why I didn't see the similarities before?  Never mind.  I am having a good life, although I don't have any friends.  

I'm looking forward to getting to recognise a few people on here. Oh by the way I'm a woman - 

Looking forward to meeting other people.

M.

• Hi mld, I am female and undiagnosed in my 60s. I trained to teach, but totally failed at my many interviews and had to abandon that course in life. If you want to be recognised as female, you could get a suitable picture, to go with your posts.

I have had loads of helpful advice from both sexes here. Everyone has different experiences and perspectives and it is the first time in my life that I have found people that I can talk to, who understand what these issues are like.

I was labeled paranoid at one point and put on antipsychotics for years. I was told that if I tried to come off them, my "condition" would recur. This label was never written in my notes. I rebelled in retirement and ditched the medication. I am happier not being an over weight lethargic zombie, but I also got back the anxiety and meltdowns that were suppressed by the meds. Now I understand that I am not mad and/or bad, I am getting to grips with life as me and mostly love it. I think that retirement may have something to do with that, although my husband and I are thrown together more than we used to be.

• OK, so you can see what I write.  Good.

I am hoping to start my PhD in May.  I'm filling in the forms at the moment and getting lots of paper surrounding me!  I just wish I could fill in these forms seeing the mistakes on the computer screen, without having to print them all off, all the time.

M.

• When the site is working properly, yes. Today it seems to be going all wrong. Happy messaging

• Test.

Is this where you write to do a reply?  

• Welcome to the forum. Good to see someone with a teaching background who has been able to help pupils on the spectrum. The usefulness of people on the spectrum to help others on the spectrum needs to be better recognised.

Also useful to clarify that you are a woman. There are a good few women on this site with the perspectives on how it affects women and how much less effective is the diagnosis process for women. But also we've had dialogues on here that run for days before the original poster has to protest at automatically being identified as male.

As a male I cannot comment on this......