Hi there from an adult

I was diagnosed with high functioning autism a couple of months ago, although my parents knew that delayed speach and my way of doing things were different :)  Since I was 15 I've been told I had schizophrenia, so I'm really pleased about the change in diagnosis, and this time I understand it.

I'm now 52, and have had many jobs, but have been unable to keep them.  I just don't fit in.  I trained as a teacher and I enjoy teaching kids with autism - now I wonder why I didn't see the similarities before?  Never mind.  I am having a good life, although I don't have any friends.  

I'm looking forward to getting to recognise a few people on here. Oh by the way I'm a woman - 

Looking forward to meeting other people.

M.

Parents
  • Hi mld, I am female and undiagnosed in my 60s. I trained to teach, but totally failed at my many interviews and had to abandon that course in life. If you want to be recognised as female, you could get a suitable picture, to go with your posts.

I have had loads of helpful advice from both sexes here. Everyone has different experiences and perspectives and it is the first time in my life that I have found people that I can talk to, who understand what these issues are like.

I was labeled paranoid at one point and put on antipsychotics for years. I was told that if I tried to come off them, my "condition" would recur. This label was never written in my notes. I rebelled in retirement and ditched the medication. I am happier not being an over weight lethargic zombie, but I also got back the anxiety and meltdowns that were suppressed by the meds. Now I understand that I am not mad and/or bad, I am getting to grips with life as me and mostly love it. I think that retirement may have something to do with that, although my husband and I are thrown together more than we used to be.

• Hi mld, I am female and undiagnosed in my 60s. I trained to teach, but totally failed at my many interviews and had to abandon that course in life. If you want to be recognised as female, you could get a suitable picture, to go with your posts.

I have had loads of helpful advice from both sexes here. Everyone has different experiences and perspectives and it is the first time in my life that I have found people that I can talk to, who understand what these issues are like.

I was labeled paranoid at one point and put on antipsychotics for years. I was told that if I tried to come off them, my "condition" would recur. This label was never written in my notes. I rebelled in retirement and ditched the medication. I am happier not being an over weight lethargic zombie, but I also got back the anxiety and meltdowns that were suppressed by the meds. Now I understand that I am not mad and/or bad, I am getting to grips with life as me and mostly love it. I think that retirement may have something to do with that, although my husband and I are thrown together more than we used to be.

Children
No Data