Hello?

Um, hi? So I just had my final assessment interview yesterday and received an autism diagnosis. I’ve browsed these forums over the last few months but didn’t feel able to join until now. I did have problems getting started because everything was telling me that my profile name was on the top right hand corner but it wasn’t there, it was bottom left corner. Also, I didn’t realise that the NAS with the numbers was my profile name, I only clicked on it eventually out of frustration. But I got here in the end.

So I’m 37, female and I live in Scotland. I’m self employed as a domestic cleaner, despite having been to university, but ‘normal’ jobs just didn’t work out for me. It works for me, just now, as I don’t have to answer to anyone else and I can arrange my hours to suit my energy levels. However I would like to eventually have some sort of job where I use my brain. I’m just about to start volunteering with a local charity that pairs volunteers with socially isolated kids, to help them gain more confidence and have new experiences. 

Basically last year I had extreme burnout following a change in my life and had to move back in with my mum. I’m so proud of myself this last year as (with lots of help from family, friends and therapy) I have now managed to get back to my flat full time. I looked into getting an autism assessment to see if it could maybe explain why I had always struggled with certain things, and luckily my area had just established a new adult autism assessment team through the NHS. I put in a request through the mental health team at my GP surgery, and several weeks later they said they would send me forms to fill in. Several multi-page forms later, 7+ hours of interviews over several months, and an hour long phone call with my mum, I’m now coming to terms with the fact that I am autistic, and I’ve been autistic my whole life.

Nothing has changed and yet everything has changed.