Is it normal for a guy with ASD to struggle with maintaining communication (e.g. texting, phone calls or even video calls) when dating?

The guy in question is affectionate and initiates physical contact and intimacy a lot when we're together but only seems to struggle with maintaining communication in between meet ups, either through texts (often takes a long time to reply) and says he often gets quite mentally tired with phone calls or video calls

Parents
  • In the psychology of most autistic people relationships, once formed, just are. Autistic people tend to view romantic relationships and friendships as being unchanging. If you are my friend or my lover, you will remain so forever. As a result, the allistic (non autistic) need to constantly maintain relationships is nonsensical to us, and it just does not occur to us to do it, it seems like so much wasted effort. It is a basic mismatch of expectations. On the up side, autistic people tend to be more loyal and trustworthy than most allistics.

Also, autistic people often struggle in making conversation on the phone.

• In the psychology of most autistic people relationships, once formed, just are. Autistic people tend to view romantic relationships and friendships as being unchanging. If you are my friend or my lover, you will remain so forever. As a result, the allistic (non autistic) need to constantly maintain relationships is nonsensical to us, and it just does not occur to us to do it, it seems like so much wasted effort. It is a basic mismatch of expectations. On the up side, autistic people tend to be more loyal and trustworthy than most allistics.

Also, autistic people often struggle in making conversation on the phone.

Children
No Data