I think I might be an Aspie

Last night out of sheer frustration at upsetting yet another person, I searched Google, I put something in like 'why do I always upset people when I don't mean to' I found a site explaining about Aspersers and a link to a test to do online. As I was reading the questions in the test I was shocked at how well it all fit me and the problems I have been having, not just as an adult but in my childhood too.

The score was very high 172 out 200. It said I am most probably an Aspie. So of course I started to do more research and found this site. I am female and in my 30s, I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was a young child and this was used to explain my 'shyness'. But it didn't explain why I would get very upset in any kind of group situation. My poor Mum would take me to Brownies or the Girl Guides and I would run out crying, saying it was too noisy and I didn't understand what was going on etc.

Anyway, I would like to get a proper diagnosis, not for any other reason than to know why I have always struggled keeping friends, why they always get offended by things I say and back away. Why I constantly struggle in social situations and avoid them.

I read that it can be hard to get a referral from a Doctors, and when I looked up a local professional who does the diagnosis, it says it is £300. That is a bit much, so now I am nervous to go to my Doctors and ask. I avoid going to the Doctors, haven't been in over 10 years. I don't want to feel humiliated by asking and them telling me no.

Any advice please? Is it really worth getting diagnosed at my age?

Parents
  • Thanks for your reply. I am going to have to think about this, and see if I should go ahead. After taking another test, the full one as suggested in your post, it seems there is no doubt. I got 40 out of 50.

I am going to talk to my Mum about my childhood and then decide what to do. I don't really know what getting a professional diagnosis would do for me really.

• Thanks for your reply. I am going to have to think about this, and see if I should go ahead. After taking another test, the full one as suggested in your post, it seems there is no doubt. I got 40 out of 50.

I am going to talk to my Mum about my childhood and then decide what to do. I don't really know what getting a professional diagnosis would do for me really.

Children
No Data