How to Make Friends and Get Back Out There

Hi everyone.

I'm new here and not sure how to navigate just yet. I have no experience using forums, but thought since I'm having such a terrible time connecting with people IRL, there is quite literally nothing to lose.

My name is Hallow, I'm 29 years old and a non-binary bean - they/she (please ask my pronouns). I'm  into all things animated. Cartoons, anime, animated films, etc. I'm generally a creative person and enjoy just about any hobby or activity that involves creating: drawing (digital and traditional), painting, jewellery making, baking & cooking, etc.

Since my self- diagnosis just over a year ago,  my life kinda fell apart and I've been on the journey of seeking diagnosis for my Autism & ADHD, while managing my comorbidities. I lost all my "friends" and family and became very isolated (mostly for my own safely), and ended up moving to a whole new city by myself. 

I find that my experience has made me so much more reluctant to put myelf out there in the way that I used to. I also know that the way I approach things like human interactions is vastly different now.

Soo, I want to try something new. I've heard so many people say how they've made some great friends online on Reddit or Tumblr or some other site I've always felt too intimidated to use. Well, if there's anywhere that I can be my full Autistic self and not feel 'wrong' or 'other' it's NAS, right?

Like I said, there's quite literally nothing to lose, but hopefully I'll gain some meaningful interactions,

dare I say.... even friends? EyesJoy

Has anyone got any tips for coming out of isolation in your late 20s/30s?

Or any age?

Or just want to say "Hi"?

I hope to chat with you all Blue heartPurple heartGreen heart

Parents
  • Hello Hallow and welcome.

I am 27 years old and in a similar situation. I  find it difficult to make friendships. I hope this community helps and just be your wonderful autistic self! I can resonate with the isolation. My diagnosis only came this year and before that I was resistant to put myself out there due to bad experiences in the past.  I am also figuring myself out and managing associated difficulties I have. That might make you feel less alone in your journey. I haven't got all the answers but I would just say take things at your own pace and in the meantime do things that make you happy. 

We also have similar interests. I also love cartoons, anime, animated films, etc. What are your favourites? I also like cooking when I can do it!

I also like drawing but I'm not great at it lol. That is a great skill to have! 

• I'm 27 years old too and share your struggles. I did have friends but I messed up, thus pushing them all away and having to start from scratch.

I think I've realised the importance of similar interests, rather than "you're autistic like me which means we'll get along", which isn't guaranteed. 

• It's good to hear your starting anew!

• I'm still struggling with the grief of it all but baby steps!

Reply Children
No Data