hi..Mum to 16 year old recently diagnose ASD - GCSE refusal

Hi all, 

Very new here. My son was diagnosed ASD in January and at the time of his last set of year 11 mocks  in feb  he suffered a burn out. has not been back to school since. He has however done some revision with our support - has talked positively about taking his exams -( he was predicted top grades.) 

He managed 3 exams in two days . then the weekend. From around Sunday lunchtime he showed sign of rising anxiety and refusal to engage in any preparation , which in the past has helped him feel calmer facing an exam. 

He's barricading the door and pointing us out of the room when we try to engage. 

today he has missed his English Lit.  I'm posting here for some community support as this just feels so scary. 

• Hi Nas, I'm with you in the high emotions today. My 16 year old girl had eng lit this morning too and was escalating from last night. It's SO difficult. If it's any consolation, as long as Eng Lang is passed, English literature isn't compulsory.

I'm not coping well today so probably not the best to advise, but I'd recommend giving him time to regulate and process before discussing the opportunity to resit in August. Take care 

• Hi. It sounds like you're doing a great job trying to reach out to your son. His refusal just means he's not ready for that kind of help yet. I don't know if he's still processing the dignosis, but the time he's spent temporarily isolated could have given him some much needed time to think through all the overwhelming thoughts.

If you haven't already, you could contact the school for details about resits. This is definately an accomodation they should make. Alleviating the time pressure can be a big relief to an autistic person avoiding a responsibility. Constantly insisting they do something can make the task seem more daunting.

It sounds like you're a very supportive mother and after your son has had the space he needs I'm sure he'll get the grades he deserves. It's scary now, but no permanent damage has been done. Sometimes when the situation feels urgent, the best support is patient. I hope you and your son start to feel better soon.

• it will be fine.

gcse's are not needed in the world.

i did no homework/revision at home... which is apparently more than half of the grade result. so i got very bad grades even though i thought the questions on the tests to be easy.... also the school hated me especially after my answers on the religious education test, i think the result giver may have been religious and likely my religious education answers deeply offended them so they gave me super low marks on everything.

but gcse's have never been important in my life, no ones asked for them, they have never been needed. i have surpassed every single person from school despite the gcse results being bad.

thing is the more important you make it out to be, the more stress you will create.... it is likely better to tell him it doesnt matter and its all pointless anyway, that way youd likely get rid of the stress and anxiety if you kill the importance of it. and it really isnt important...

infact i was speaking to another person i knew from my high school.... he was interested in my rise of wealth and getting my life sorted and better than most in 1 year, so he got in contact with me.... he lives in america now... he has 10 acres of farmland... he has multiple stocks, and investments, lots of rental properties too, a big family, a nice rural life on his farm raising kids, even he said now when hes made it he realises everything he learned in school was a lie and pointless and was holding him back. your forced to do it though, so just go through it and not really care, when he leaves school just forget about everything school has taught because school teaches lies and wrong stuff and nothing useful in the world. that guy also read rob kiyosakis book which we talked about, your kid would likely be better educated reading robert kiyosakis rich dad poor dad book as a example of how life really works.