How to write a will or trust fund for autistic son

Hi. I'm a friend of someone who has a son on the spectrum. She has no family, just a few friends. So no real back up.

She is aware that she needs to set something up legally so she need not worry about her son should anything happen to her. He is 23yrs now.

Has anyone got any advice of how to go about this without spending vast amounts on solicitors? She would like to be able to go in with some idea of what happens so that might help cut costs.

Thanks, Mary

• It may depend on your Friend's Son and his particular circumstances.  However, if applicable I found this document about Lasting Power of Attorney (both Financial and Health and Welfare) a useful explanation:

https://www.mencap.org.uk/sites/default/files/2021-06/1%20Supporters%20Guide%20on%20health%20and%20welfare%20LPA%20-%20with%20FSMencap%20%282%29.pdf 

• dunno, i know that my job has a union in which the union offers me a free will writing service...

but if she doesnt have a job and isnt in a union that can provide that then she has to pay for one.... its cheap though, i think wills ar like only £150 or something lol

but yeah i dont think wills matter much anyway as without a will if she died all of her assets and wealth goes to her direct next of kin. a will is only really important when you want to split assets, or give something to a more distant relative... or disinherit one of the relatives to ensure one of them gets it.

but from what i gather, by default her son would likely get everything anyway if she died.

the real issue is how would he manage it and will he be able to survive and live off it... she kinda needs to prepare him and teach him how things work, and how to manage finances and be responsible with money and make him know money isnt to waste on luxury but to live off and how to calculate how much money per month hed be going through and so on.. the real issue is his function of that when he does get it id wager... but everything should pass to him... and be split if there is other direct relatives such as if he has brother or sister. (not legal advice, common sense lol)