Hi everyone - diagnosis help needed!

For the past few years my 9 year old son has been going through the assessments to see if he has autism and ADHD. At our final appointment with the Doctor yesterday he said that my son 'fits the diagnostic criteria for autism' but they couldn't come to a conclusion about ADHD and want to review him again in the Autumn. 

There was a lot to take in at the appointment, but I think the doctor said that we would have to decide whether or not we wanted to include the diagnosis of Autism on my son's medical records. He mentioned that having the official diagnosis might restrict certain opportunities for my son in the future such as he would not be able to join the military or live in the USA.

does anyone know if there are any other restrictions that might come with having an autism diagnosis either now or in the future?

I am thinking that having the diagnosis will open more doors than it closes in terms of support, understanding and protection, but I feel like this is a big decision that could shape his whole future!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Slight smile