Hello, I’m new

I’ve come to the forum to find identification. I believe I am on the AS but haven’t had a formal diagnosis. I’m in my sixties and autism wasn’t talked about when I was growing up. I may not post much, but if I get identification, it might jolt me from my lethargy and make me go for diagnosis.

I’m pleased to meet you all 

Parents
  • Hi and welcome, I’m 56 and have my assessment soon, people of our generation had no chance of help, if autism had of been known about it would halve been treated as a mental illness that needed curing.

I’ve chosen to get a formal diagnosis, it’s not for everyone, many here self identify for many different reasons and all valid.I just need I suppose validation to stop my imposter syndrome and to answer a lot of questions through my life.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Thanks for the welcome, Roy  Best of luck with your assessment 

Reply Children
  • Thanks for your reply, alcohol and antidepressants…..I found the alcohol made me more normal, or that’s how I viewed it. I originally thought I was depressed, then I really thought about it, I was depressed as a young child and I knew I functioned differently. The fact was I was struggling in a strange world. It was by total accident, I caught a radio interview with two autistic people, I couldn’t work for the rest of the day, they had pretty much described my life. That was the start of my journey. I was 10 minutes with my GP and he told me I was being referred for an autism assessment. Unfortunately the wait in my area is 2.5 years. I couldn’t afford going private but that time has allowed me to process my eventful life and learn more about autism, there’s things I’ve always done that I never knew were autistic traits.