GP refuse to refer and have a policy not to see under 16's

Hi All, 

I am new here. Mum to an 11yr old girl who is on the ND Pathway for ADHD and a 12yr old boy.

I have often felt my son shows signs of autism as he has quite a few stimming activities that does, can totally misunderstand how he processes information and repeats sentences several times. 

He loves routine and certain clothing that I have to try to replace in a bigger size as he wears certain items until they wear out.

He has always struggled with social interaction and making friends.

I asked school as I feel he could benefit from some help to navigate through high school and later life. 

They explained it is the GP that does the referral. 

I spoke to my GP practice and they flatly refused to see him.

The school SENCO called them to spend 35 minutes on the phone to a woman who told her their policy is not to see anyone under 16 and she refused to allow her to speak to anyone else.

She said they are the only GP practice she ever heard of that refuse to see a child or young person. 

I have put in an official complaint to the practice and will take this to their commissioning group and the health ombudsman. 

I'm stunned they have this policy as this leaves us at a standstill with no option but to change GP. 

I cannot believe a GP practice could act like this. 

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Linzi Heart️

Parents
  • GPs are private businesses, and more or less do whatever they feel like. It is about time we had a National Health Service that is truly national and accountable.  My own view is we need a tax-funded insurance system and a mixture of publicly-owned and private providers that the >patient< can choose, not be at the mercy of bureaucratic commissioners.

Many years ago I had a job opposite Guy's. I needed a routine blood test, and was told to go to my local hospital - which meant taking a morning off work. I asked the GP if I could go to Guy's in my lunch break ... no, the GP Commissioning Group (or whatever it was called back then) had a "contract" with the local NHS Trust.

Personally, I would like to see health centres that provide access to the full range of primary care, including minor treatment, pathology, OT, physiotherapy, counselling ...  and patients can go wherever is convenient. In 1948 it made sense to be "registered" with a local GP ... now we have computer systems, it should be possible to go to any provider and for them to access your basic NHS record.

My local GP practice has four doctors, three nurses, and >twelve< admin and clerical staff. It still takes two weeks to get a routine appointment, if you can get through on the phone to book one.

• in my view the solution is just to remove GPs all together. For routeen things like vacination and routeen tests pharmacys could do it fine. We can move the diagnostic / referal function directly into hospitals with dedicated diagnostic wards. Then we only really need peripetetic GPs to do house calls.

• No.

in my view the solution is just to remove GPs all together. For routeen things like vacination and routeen tests pharmacys could do it fine. We can move the diagnostic / referal function directly into hospitals with dedicated diagnostic wards. Then we only really need peripetetic GPs to do house calls.

No, I must disagree to that. Hospitals are not autism friendly, for one they all smell of ammonia cleaner, echo with noise, and have fluorescent lighting. Even before you get to the fact you are almost always seen by a total stranger at a hospital, you also more likely to catch something in a hospital that serves the whole area than just your local town and villages too. Then there's also the issue of travel to and from a big hospital.

Fortunately logistical and common sense prevail and we will have GP's for a while yet. The nice thing about GP's is you usually can change them if you aren't happy with the one you have. Our nearest next GP surgery is 5 miles away and the nearest hospital is 20 miles, we are in a rural area not a city. Usually there are options if you don't like your current GP if you know where to look.

You might not like GPs but you can't say the whole system should change to your liking when others rely on it for better or for worse as it is. What GP's need is better funding and patient accuntability, it's not revolutionary, one would only take a pen tick from a government worth a damn, and the other you can get by going over their heads to ombudsman services, PALS, commission groups, or getting a letter to their regional managers, you just have to find out how to demand better from your GP in the chain of command.

• TBH I'm not going to get into this further I have an important phone call to make before 10 and stuff that needs doing before I have to away from keyboard for a while. So I'll just say goodnight Peter.

Reply Children
No Data