I’m Autistic, Now What - YouTube channel

Hello fellow neurokin!

Firstly, thanks to Bees (they/them) for informing me about this channel!

I really like some of their videos, there is obviously some educational stuff about autistic experience but also some funny videos too! I really like the woman (creator of the channel) she is quite funny and very relatable (also love her passion for monotropism too).

I think it’s such a great idea that she created the channel because she came to the realisation of her autistic identity thanks to YouTube and now waits to give back to her own community.

I hope you find her channel informative and enjoyable too!

I’m Autistic, Now What YouTube channel:

https://youtube.com/@imautisticnowwhat?si=K_bjvLWA__Ga99hs

• If anyone knows of any older female content creators I would love to know who they are. Most of the creators who are "late diagnosed" are much younger than me. I'm 62 and diagnosed in the summer. 

Hi again Inula

I have recently found this channel Autistic After 40:

https://youtube.com/@Autistic_After_40?si=NyEBckSfY-Gy7sN9

I have also found this one Suddenly Autistic. The channel is led by a 46 year old late identified autistic female:

https://youtube.com/@suddenlyautistic?si=sGRrz2PyDfq7Ni2z

• Hello neurokin! A new video was uploaded on this channel yesterday about autistics and employment:

https://youtu.be/y9aoG-NrF6A?si=8lmlwp-2dZhxu1RL

I hope this interests you!

• Hi. Thanks for the other recommendations too! I am glad you enjoy this channel!

• I like I'm Autistic, Now What channel as well as The Thought Spot, Orion Kelly - That Autistic Guy, The Aspie World, Olivia Hopps, as well as others but those are my main go tos. I know ive seen maybe 2 channels with older autistic people but I cant remember what they were called :/

• I compare it to my own struggles, although I was not a girl and did worse socially than her but I could still relate to a lot of it. I'm interested in hearing stories of undiagnosed people in childhood/school years and how they coped.

It’s great that you find her experiences growing up so relatable!

I agree I also find childhood stories of unidentified autistics interesting too.

• Thanks! Hadn’t thought about her!

• I'm not sure but as it displays on the main page I guess at least everyone will still get to see it :-) 

Thanks!

I really enjoyed her video ranking autistic special interests from a few months ago ^^

So did I! Very funny!

Where on the scale do you think she would rate your dedicated interests?

My interest (autistic experience) would definitely be in the ‘do it all day ‘ section!

Thanks for sharing the link! As you can probably tell I have already watched that video.

My favourite videos are the ones where she reacts to Actually Autistic Memes! Also very funny and relatable!

https://youtu.be/dl_qClCkW7g?si=6V_AM1jTDlffaYrE

It’s quite hard to choose a favourite as i also love her monotropism video! Have you realised that she has a new video out today?

• Which of the videos is your favourite?

Probably the one where she describes her difficulties at school and college before she was diagnosed, and her attempts to fit in and how she forced herself to study really hard, and how doctors and counsellors continually missed really obvious signs.

I compare it to my own struggles, although I was not a girl and did worse socially than her but I could still relate to a lot of it. I'm interested in hearing stories of undiagnosed people in childhood/school years and how they coped.

• I'm not sure but as it displays on the main page I guess at least everyone will still get to see it :-) 

Which of her videos do you enjoy most?

I really enjoyed her video ranking autistic special interests from a few months ago ^^ 

I like all her videos though to be honest because they're really fun and funny in places. 

This is the interests video I've watched it a lot now.

https://youtu.be/MvId9CFepf0?si=SibPdU1R8MuLgXtL

What's your fav one? ^-^

• Purple Ella, is rather older than most YouTube autistic contributors:   www.youtube.com/.../PurpleElla

• The signs were definitely there that she was autistic, but diagnosis was limited in the past, but she also had a very supportive family which will have helped her to cope and mask.

Absolutely! I find it quite surprising that she wasn’t identified as autistic as a child too!

Like she has explained in numerous videos though she was probably thought to have anxiety and no one thought to look any deeper into the way her brain works. Also she is AFAB and as we know very well autistic AFAB and gender diverse autistic people often are not identified until adults because of differing social expectations and misdiagnoses.

Alternatively her parents could also be autistic hence why she wasn’t identified earlier.

Glad you enjoy her channel too!

Which of the videos is your favourite?

• I like her channel as well. The content is quite good but it also has a lot of insight into what it's like being autistic, and she is lucky to have so much footage of herself as a child and teenager. It's very interesting to see. The signs were definitely there that she was autistic, but diagnosis was limited in the past, but she also had a very supportive family which will have helped her to cope and mask.

• Cool, I am glad you enjoy her content too! I agree she is very relatable!

If anyone knows of any older female content creators I would love to know who they are. Most of the creators who are "late diagnosed" are much younger than me. I'm 62 and diagnosed in the summer. 

I am not sure but I will do some research for you! Like you say the field of content creation is mostly saturated by younger people.

• I also follow this channel and have done for a year or so now. (Maybe even longer!) She was one of the creators I stumbled upon when I was at the "omg am I autistic"? stage!  

I really enjoy her content - funny and educational and very relatable and human.

If anyone knows of any older female content creators I would love to know who they are. Most of the creators who are "late diagnosed" are much younger than me. I'm 62 and diagnosed in the summer. 

• Just a question, have I posted this discussion in the wrong section? I meant to post it in ‘Autistic Adults’ but it seems to be in ‘Introduce Yourself.’

Thanks!

• I love the channel she's funny kind and really educational all at the same time. I think it's really good for every autistic person young and old

This is the same reason why I love her channel! It’s great that she helped you understand that you were masking, it’s really evident that she wants to give back to her own autistic community!

Which of her videos do you enjoy most?

Recently I have really enjoyed the ‘Ranking Interests’ and ‘Reacting to Actually Autistic Memes!’ Both very funny! 

In terms of educational videos about autistic experience, I particularly enjoyed the monotropism and PDA videos! I love her passion for monotropism, she is very monotropic as am I.

Thanks for sharing the masking video, I shall watch it in due course!

• I follow this channel! ^^

I looked up masking when Number very kindly told me I was masking and wasn't healthy

That's when I looked it up and found her video on masking and noticing the signs 

https://youtu.be/-RgYyi6SgWg?si=Bp02rexZOQYODmPd

This helped me a lot and big thanks to Number for alerting me in the first place! 

I love the channel she's funny kind and really educational all at the same time. I think it's really good for every autistic person young and old

She's helped me a lot :)