Recently diagnosed at 31

Hi everyone,

I’m a 31 year old women who has been diagnosed with ASD last week. I was given the report by my psychiatrist and then left to it. 

I’m struggling to know how to process, integrate and understand the news. I also have no idea how to share this with my family. 

I would really appreciate any advice on resources, and support for this early stage of understanding myself. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance 

Parents
  • Hi and welcome.

First, your reaction yo the news is the same as many of us.  I am working my way through it at the moment.  

I have a thread on this site where i try to describe what it is like to be autistic. I will try and find a link.

I felt lost when it came to how i am supposed to interact with people ... and i guess i still do. I am, however, getting more comfortable with it, and better able to understand why i struggle.

• Thank you for sharing that link. It’s a great starting point in terms of finding ways to offer insight into what situations can feel like

• You are welcome. .. there is some good feedback in the replies also.

I guess the main point is that we all struggle with this.  Learning we are autistic forces us to try and rebuild how we interact with people, with the confounding factor that we cannot see the feedback from them in their expressions.  

I hope you have people in your life who are understanding and willing to help.

• You are welcome. .. there is some good feedback in the replies also.

I guess the main point is that we all struggle with this.  Learning we are autistic forces us to try and rebuild how we interact with people, with the confounding factor that we cannot see the feedback from them in their expressions.  

I hope you have people in your life who are understanding and willing to help.

Children
No Data